Cupra 300 ST 4drive exhaust query

Oct 4, 2021
Hi,
Was looking at adding some noise to the cupra, res delete maybe

Had a quick look under my 2017 Cupra ST 300 4drive, surpsied that I couldn't see a center silencer/resonator. I've done some research on this forum and seems to be the norm for the GPF 300 4drive cars but I'm sure mine is a good time before the gpfs became the norm? The entire exhaust system on the car seems to be standard

Added some photos(not the best I appreciate)

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Attachments

• 20211029_162059.jpg
    20211029_162059.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 20211029_162207.jpg
    20211029_162207.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 255
  • 20211029_162115.jpg
    20211029_162115.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 20211029_162431.jpg
    20211029_162431.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 245

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
The centre res has already been deleted on your ST. It usually sits just in front of the RWD transmission box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom300

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi,
Was looking at adding some noise to the cupra, res delete maybe

Had a quick look under my 2017 Cupra ST 300 4drive, surpsied that I couldn't see a center silencer/resonator. I've done some research on this forum and seems to be the norm for the GPF 300 4drive cars but I'm sure mine is a good time before the gpfs became the norm? The entire exhaust system on the car seems to be standard

Added some photos(not the best I appreciate)

Anyone able to shed some light on this?
Nope, thats a res delete:

1635526560262.png

Its not normally got a join on the right after that photo.

Here is a picture of mine, (although mine is after the res was put back in so has a join where it was previously cut):

1635526722161.png

And here it is again with an updated res delete fitted:

1635526756259.png

Oct 4, 2021
Cheers for the quick responses. Quite unexpected as I'm finding the exhaust quite muted, few DSG farts under hard driving but other than that quite a quiet system. Seen a few vids of pre gpf cars with res deletes and sound a million miles from mine imo

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
Nope, thats a res delete:

View attachment 28033

Its not normally got a join on the right after that photo.

Here is a picture of mine, (although mine is after the res was put back in so has a join where it was previously cut):

View attachment 28035

And here it is again with an updated res delete fitted:

View attachment 28036
Excuse my ignorance I've never seen anything like this before What's the bend coming out of the middle about? 🤔

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Excuse my ignorance I've never seen anything like this before What's the bend coming out of the middle about? 🤔
Its know as a Helmholtz resonator or pipe. It helps reduce drone (size is dependant on the frequency of the drone) without reducing the noise as much as a traditional resonator.

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
Lovely sounds like exactly what I need thanks I've made a custom set up on my cupra 280 and drone is really bad only in certain situations I love the sound but hate the drone I'm gonna give it a try... Is it just a piece of capped pipe or is it actually filled with something I suppose what I'm asking is it something I buy or make? Thanks again for your help... Sorry for kind of hijacking this thread.? 🤔 sam

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Lovely sounds like exactly what I need thanks I've made a custom set up on my cupra 280 and drone is really bad only in certain situations I love the sound but hate the drone I'm gonna give it a try... Is it just a piece of capped pipe or is it actually filled with something I suppose what I'm asking is it something I buy or make? Thanks again for your help... Sorry for kind of hijacking this thread.? 🤔 sam
Its just a blocked end, nothing in it.

The size is what is important, I'm no expert on it, but the size will get rid of particular unwanted frequencies. The wrong size won't make any difference.

This was the prototype and it wasn't expected to be right first time as it was an educated guess on the size of it. But it was bob on for me and it ended up staying on the car. When I put the car back to standard it went back. Hopefully, they'll start doing on now they have mine back haha.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
On another note to take the guess work out...

The standard resonator is the correct size. Someone on the Golf R Forum with an estate, rather than create what I had, he got a piece of metal tube and slid it inside the resonator pipe itself blocking the little holes. So it kept the resonator effect without reducing the noise.

Reactions: SamM2342

Steve J

May 26, 2019
You've already got a resonator delete same as my leon 2017 cupra ST. I've got a golf R estate exhaust going on the car in February to replace the rear boxes as they mute the sound a lot and I prefer the quad tip look. Might be worth looking into the same? It was about £100 for the exhaust off Facebook Marketplace so with fitting isn't super expensive to add more noise. It's just finding one which isn't ridiculously overpriced that's painful

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
Hello

I have had long time Golf R Variant exhaust. Only thing what you need if you drive it daily.
Tested with res deleted, not good (more noise, more drone). Best after market option is Golf R Variant OEM exhaust. No drone, nice DSG farts, good for family car.
I have middel box also (no OPF), without it it was nice in the city (tested about a 2 weeks), but highway speed to much drone (90-110 km/h). But it the city it was fun :).
But as Steve J said, rear boxes are what you need.
If you order new OEM Golf R Variant exhaust it will come without middel box.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise