Cupra TSI 290 production date

RacerBice

Nov 25, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Sorry if this might be repetitive, but I have seen only scattered comments on this topic in other threads, and can't get a good overview.

So could someone who perhaps have more information than I do say something about production of the "new" 290? I have an ST with DSG for delivery to Sweden on order since mid June (i.e. immediately after they stopped taking orders for the 280, so I should be among the first in line), and I just learned that the car still has no production date. After almost 4 (four!) months.

Apparently, the only thing the factory can say is that "it will be produced sometime between December and February"....!!! The dealer can't say anything about why this is. Any intel from anyone....?

RB

noob17

Oct 15, 2015
Maybe held up for some reason due to repercussions through the group of the emissions testing fiasco.

the 290 doesn't start production until week 45 i believe. Or at least thats when dealers are allowed to place orders on their system.

I have just put an order in via a local dealer myself

bigflause

Oct 15, 2015
I tried to order mine in Ireland this week and was told that the 290 is not on the system yet and that they have stopped taking orders for the 280. The dealer is telling me they should be on the system next week.

andeekaii

Oct 14, 2015
I tried to order mine in Ireland this week and was told that the 290 is not on the system yet and that they have stopped taking orders for the 280. The dealer is telling me they should be on the system next week.

I've been told "a few weeks" in mainland UK. Did they give you an exact date or just next week sometime?

bleedsoff

Sep 30, 2015
I've had a 280 ST on order since beginning of the month. I called Seat UK yesterday and they said I will be getting a 290. However they have no information on the 290, as in spec etc. So not to sure if I'll be getting the extras that I ordered on my 280. I contacted my dealer to see if they had any information. They didn't know anymore then Seat UK, but my dealer said my car should be built week 45! However not confirmed. I dunno if this is all lies or genuine and no one in this country seems to have solid information on what is going on. I am surprised one member in the Cupra thread has exact pricing and spec information and placed an order for a 290 specifically in September in the UK?!?

bigflause

Oct 15, 2015
I've been told "a few weeks" in mainland UK. Did they give you an exact date or just next week sometime?

No I wasn't given an exact date. I just was told it should be on the system next week. They said they confirmed this with seat and the maximum difference in the price would be €500 and the only extra option is the rear seat rest.

I find it hard to believe someone got exact pricing on the 290.

andeekaii

Oct 14, 2015
I've had a 280 ST on order since beginning of the month. I called Seat UK yesterday and they said I will be getting a 290. However they have no information on the 290, as in spec etc. So not to sure if I'll be getting the extras that I ordered on my 280. I contacted my dealer to see if they had any information. They didn't know anymore then Seat UK, but my dealer said my car should be built week 45! However not confirmed. I dunno if this is all lies or genuine and no one in this country seems to have solid information on what is going on. I am surprised one member in the Cupra thread has exact pricing and spec information and placed an order for a 290 specifically in September in the UK?!?

I did manage to find pricing earlier. I can't post links yet but on carbuyer (co.uk) they have the 290 listed, and it seems prices across the range are up £465 (Which almost matches the £495 that the guy in the Cupra thread posted). How accurate these prices are I don't know however..

Link (/reviews/seat/leon/cupra-hatchback/20-tsi-290ps-cupra-290-dsg_7267142/review)

Cupra 3dr
290: £28,375.00
280: £27,910.00

Cupra 5dr
290: £28,675.00
280: £28,210.00

Cupra 3dr DSG
290: £29,730.00
280: £29,265.00

Cupra 5dr DSG
290: £30,030.00
280: £29,565.00

Last edited:

bleedsoff

Sep 30, 2015
I think I more interested in spec then price. I have been told I'm price protected so Seat are covering my costs of any increase.

RacerBice

Nov 25, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
When I placed the order in June in Sweden, the order books were actually already open (closed for 280, but open for 290). But without the specs and prices yet formally published. I still placed the order just to secure my spot in the queue. The specs and prices were then confirmed by the dealer through Seat's internal ordering system as early as mid July. And eventually, everything was published and made available also to the public on the Swedish Seat web-site at the end of August.

Anyhow, when my dealer (VW owned) asked the factory earlier today, their reply "December to February" was with reference to reasons of "low allocation". I don't know what that means, and neither does the dealer. Allocation to Sweden, or for the Cupra STI 290 in Seat production?

Even my sales guy at the dealer is baffled by all of this. And he (just like I am, as working for Scania) are basically VW employees, and this will be a company car. So one might think that he/we would be in a slightly better position than the average Joe to get information.

RB

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I was told by 2 different dealers when looking for a new car, that the cupras were delayed due to a shortage of the standard 19" wheels.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I just looked on the Swedish SEAT website, where they advertise the Cupra 290. The Cupra 290 is specified as Max Power 290PS at 5,900 to 6,400 RPM and Max Torque 350Nm at 1,700 to 5,800 RPM.

The UK SEAT website specifies the Cupra 280 as Max Power 280PS at 5,600 to 6,500 RPM and Max Torque 350 Nm at 1,700 to 5,600 RPM.

All other engine specifications seem to be identical for the Cupra 290 and Cupra 280.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I just looked on the Swedish SEAT website, where they advertise the Cupra 290. The Cupra 290 is specified as Max Power 290PS at 5,900 to 6,400 RPM and Max Torque 350Nm at 1,700 to 5,800 RPM.

The UK SEAT website specifies the Cupra 280 as Max Power 280PS at 5,600 to 6,500 RPM and Max Torque 350 Nm at 1,700 to 5,600 RPM.

All other engine specifications seem to be identical for the Cupra 290 and Cupra 280.

The rpm will be different because of the way the power bands. However it convinces me more that the power is available between those rev ranges means there is more power.

It would be interested to know what the golf r's peak power is available between.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
The rpm will be different because of the way the power bands. However it convinces me more that the power is available between those rev ranges means there is more power.

It would be interested to know what the golf r's peak power is available between.

Between 5500 and 6200rpm.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Slightly off topic, but other than the obvious 10 extra horses what does the 290 offer that's different. Different alloys, facelift .....?

bleedsoff

Sep 30, 2015
Slightly off topic, but other than the obvious 10 extra horses what does the 290 offer that's different. Different alloys, facelift .....?

From what there is on the Internet at the moment. There is no difference in any of the cosmetics. I think basically what has happened is they have put the VW GTI performance pack on the Cupra.

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
From what there is on the Internet at the moment. There is no difference in any of the cosmetics. I think basically what has happened is they have put the VW GTI performance pack on the Cupra.

Is it correct that the PP on the GTI consists of a mechanical limited-slip front differential, adaptive dampers and 10 more bhp? And the Cupra already had the diff and the dampers?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Sorry to say you've probably read the garbage article from Auto Express that says it is getting bigger brakes and the diff when it actual fact it already had the big brakes and the diff.

The Cupra already has more performance than the GTi.

A lot people on here are saying it is just marketing BS as the Cupra already has over 280.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.