Difference between 130-150 models ?

modd1uk

Feb 2, 2009
As per my previous thread im now in a position to buy, i have a nice(ish) budget of £7k that ide like to spend. Im in the process of learning what the service intervals are and what they entail so i can decide on what sort of milage i want to be buying at...unless somebody can tell me ?

Basically...whats the difference between the 130 and 150 ? apart from 20bhp...before some smart ass said it :p:p. Any interior differences etc i mean..it wouldnt matter too much as i plan on spending some on the car (im a biker, spent ALOT of money on my bikes in the past) so figured ide get my car looking half decent.

Reason i ask is..the 150 seems to go for a hell of alot more for only 20bhp difference (wouldnt say thats alot on a car compared to a bike). Hell ide be laughing if i could gain 20bhp on my bike so easy. Theres some cheapish 04 plate 130's knocking about with <50k miles.

Im a lost sheep at the moment, i figured you guys are the experts and can hopefully point me in the right direction.

Cheers in advance.

modd1uk

Feb 2, 2009
On a quick look, looks asthough the 130 has a diff front bumper ? (doesnt look as nice as the 150, cream of the crop is the cupra bumper tho, mmmm)

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
well the cupra/fr comes with 17inch alloys, not sure what the 130 is but i would say that its 16's maybe and a thinner profile

i think the 130 is 6 gears as well as the 150

obvious stuff such as brakes and suspension are better, and as stated already the exterior is different. got very nice sports seats in my fr but not sure if they are the same as the 130, i also have silver wing mirrors as well but thats cause its an fr tdi not a cupra tdi i beleive

basically the car is more of a sports setup so its bits all over i think

modd1uk

Feb 2, 2009
Stupid question now..im looking at 150's, alot are either listed as TDI 150, or TDI 150 FR, is that two diff models or are all 150's FR's ?

Scamps

To begin with, 150 tdi Leons were called Cupra. They were then renamed and called Fr until the the end of production of the Mk1 Leon when a Fr+ model was released with different 17" wheels and different bodykit.

I used to own a 130 TDi SE which when I compared to a Cupra 150 TDi, had a very similar interior. Seats are the same shape, but the Cupra seats had a slightly different pattern. Steering wheel was the same. Both had 6-speed gearbox. Both had trip computers.

150 Cupra (or Fr) have 17" wheels with 45 profile tyres (130 has 16" with 55 profile tyres)
Cupra/Fr has bodykit and twin exhaust pipes (130 has hidden exhaust pipes).

150 TDi has a bigger turbo that is slightly more 'laggy' at low revs, but more power further up the rev range. There are also some other internals that are different I think, but I'm not sure on this.

I chose the 130 due to lower insurance, lower price & did what many do on this site and got it chipped to around 175 Bhp..................;)

Was going to leave it at that, but due to this bloody site !!!!!!!! I ended up spending ££ on other bits and pieces

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
basically the fr is the top spec petrol cupra with a diesel engine instead of the petrol, i.e the suspension/brakes/bodykit is the same as the cupra that is why they are a bit more expensive than the 130 se (which i have) the 130 has the same interior white dials/silver trim/sport seats as the fr the fr i believe has silver middles to the seats (mine are green) but in essence they are the same just the fr looks better but is a lot more to insure hence why i went for the 130

modd1uk

Feb 2, 2009
To begin with, 150 tdi Leons were called Cupra. They were then renamed and called Fr until the the end of production of the Mk1 Leon when a Fr+ model was released with different 17" wheels and different bodykit.

I used to own a 130 TDi SE which when I compared to a Cupra 150 TDi, had a very similar interior. Seats are the same shape, but the Cupra seats had a slightly different pattern. Steering wheel was the same. Both had 6-speed gearbox. Both had trip computers.

150 Cupra (or Fr) have 17" wheels with 45 profile tyres (130 has 16" with 55 profile tyres)
Cupra/Fr has bodykit and twin exhaust pipes (130 has hidden exhaust pipes).

150 TDi has a bigger turbo that is slightly more 'laggy' at low revs, but more power further up the rev range. There are also some other internals that are different I think, but I'm not sure on this.

I chose the 130 due to lower insurance, lower price & did what many do on this site and got it chipped to around 175 Bhp..................;)

Was going to leave it at that, but due to this bloody site !!!!!!!! I ended up spending ££ on other bits and pieces

thanks for that, its the 150 FR im looking at, can i ask why some are just called 1.9 TDI 150 and the others are 1.9 TDI 150 FR, from your post im under the influence there is two diff model 150's, one being just a TDI, the other being the FR (cupra) ?

EDIT :: See, reading that again it seems theres only one 150bhp model ? Argh i must sound like a right retard, i am not a car person ! (guess it shows)

modd1uk

Feb 2, 2009
Cant get much clearer than that m0rk, thank you :).

So do they just brand em up wrong when they sell em ? I mean..some are just listed as 150bhp TDI's, but they are the FR i take it ?

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
The 150 and 130 have the same engine as far as I am aware, but the 150 has a different turbo and a front mounted intercooler instead of the 130's side mounted intercooler.
If you ever decide to tune a 150 up using a hybrid turbo the standard FMIC should be ok, but if you have a 130 you would need to budget for a FMIC.
They both have the same brakes, 288 vented fronts and 232 solid rears.
As mentioned by Scamps the 150 starts making its power a little later in the rev range than the 130 due to its bigger turbo but ultimately makes more power at the top end.
It might be worth test driving both and to see which power delivery, spec etc you prefer.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
basically the fr is the top spec petrol cupra with a diesel engine instead of the petrol, i.e the suspension/brakes/bodykit is the same as the cupra that is why they are a bit more expensive than the 130 se (which i have) the 130 has the same interior white dials/silver trim/sport seats as the fr the fr i believe has silver middles to the seats (mine are green) but in essence they are the same just the fr looks better but is a lot more to insure hence why i went for the 130

the FR+ has the exact same brake and suspension setup as the PD130. Its only cosmetic differences between the 130 and 150 (bar fmic & turbo). the rest of the differences would be up to the original buyer and what she/he selected from the options list :)

modd1uk

Feb 2, 2009
thanks for clearing this up guys, man i feel like a retard !.

Will help with the puchasing though, im still unsure whats the best sort of milage to be buying around.

black04ctdi

The Cupra TDI 150 became the FR/FR+ TDI150 at the end of production of that shape. The FR has the cupra R bumpers and same style wheels (although 17s not 18s). Both the Cupra and FR have the same engine/brakes/suspension set up I believe. Can't comment on the difference between the 150s and the 130s, sorry!
So basically with the FR you are most likely paying more for different bumpers/wheels.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i personally will not buy a car over 100k. but thats just me. even then i'd still ring the dealer ship it was serviced at to make sure it had actually been there for the work. all the VAG(vw, audi group) dealers should be linked so they can chase the history for you instead of calling them all.

make sure the belt has been changed if its over 40k. if it hasnt get them to knock off at least £230 if its due. if it has shown as being changed check the belts condition.

apparently the diesels are very specific on oil. search the tdi section and you'll see what i mean.

modd1uk

Feb 2, 2009
The Cupra TDI 150 became the FR/FR+ TDI150 at the end of production of that shape. The FR has the cupra R bumpers and same style wheels (although 17s not 18s). Both the Cupra and FR have the same engine/brakes/suspension set up I believe. Can't comment on the difference between the 150s and the 130s, sorry!
So basically with the FR you are most likely paying more for different bumpers/wheels.

See in this post your saying that theres two TDI 150's ? Your saying the TDI 150 FR is a TDI 150 but with diff bumpers and wheels ? :shrug: That makes no sense to me, as far i was aware (a whole few minutes ago) there was only 1 TDI 150BHP and that was the cupra aka FR ?

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
See in this post your saying that theres two TDI 150's ? Your saying the TDI 150 FR is a TDI 150 but with diff bumpers and wheels ? :shrug: That makes no sense to me, as far i was aware (a whole few minutes ago) there was only 1 TDI 150BHP and that was the cupra aka FR ?

think of the petrols. there was the cupra (180 bhp) and the cupra R (210 & 225)

the cupra had a body kit and the cupra R had a different kit. so there are 2 different shaped 150's. the cupra(ie 180bhp petrol) and the FR+(cupra R 210/225bhp)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.