Does anyone do poly windows for Seats?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think the people that have them gave the old glass as templates to people that 'make' them

Robsparky

Apr 17, 2007
Will have a search round, but don't hold your breath, tuning parts for seats seem very thin on the ground

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
estimate 20kg loss, glass, seals and fixings, and significant as high up weight in car - would have had an exact figure but broke the back window getting it out....well say broke, threw a tool through it in a fit of rage and reduced it to a pile of bling

rear window is an absolute sod to get out, bought a proper bonded window removel tool and it wouldn't shift it - reason being that the rear window is not just bonded in but has a bloomin great rubber seal round the edge also which is also glued in, just couldn't shift it and didn't want to mess up tailgate paint so ended up breaking it.

Rear side windows fairly easy, needed to cut them a bit smaller from those supplied due to the way I have fitted them. I have removed the rubber seals and bonded the windows directly to the metal lip that used to hold the seal. This means that the window is inset maybe 10mm from where it would be normally but I have done some black painting around the window and you cannot tell, looks stock.

Front drivers window I have left as glass so I can open it easily (like window down driving) and passenger side is now plastic just fitted as a replacement for glass, left electric window mech in as are probably replacing the whole door for a fibreglass one soon.

While rear window was out, have taken a whole lot of metal out of the hatch, very light now, so maybe 3kg there also

need to get it weighed at some point, should be getting on for 900kg or maybe even less now

Last edited:

llion_72

i plastic 4 performense did my poly carbon window about £200 for a set

EssexIbiza1985

Oct 18, 2006
where are these photos?? well interested in seeing what these look like.

only thing iv got an issue with is the fact that windows are an important part of the cars strength. If ur just binding them to the metal surely they aint performing the same job as the glass ones that were sealed in properly in terms of structural strengthening?

also are the plastic ones as strong as glass panels?

llion_72

i have bondem my polycarbon rear quater windows and back window i will get u some pics off them

Robsparky

Apr 17, 2007
will they do split kits? don't want driver front. How far is your mk2 stripp robt?

Was hoping my mk2 would be well under 900kgs, my saxo was nearly 800kgs before i stoved it at cadwell! :lol:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
robs is pretty much as stripped as it can get,he even weighed the sound deadening in the boot he removed.its been a mission of his for a few years now.
he even has a poo before a sprint. :D

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Give me a month or so and i might be able to come up with somthing/service. Im just starting in the autoglazing trade and have been told they use polycarbonate as a temp fix. Thats assuming thats the kind of thing your talking about?

David.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
poo and wee actually, couple kgs on a good day LOL, was going to go naked also but the scrutineers didn't like the idea

dont think the windows do anything for cars structure - the rear window and door windows are in a hinged part, thus forming no appreciable part of the cars structure. Side rear windows are hinged in GTi's also so again no problem there.

The ibiza is a heavy car, I know of pug 205's in sprint trim that are 750kg, there's not much left of mine but it has a cage = 45kg added back in, and still has a heater and electric windows for my comfort and useability. Pretty stripped out Mk2 golf track cars are around 850kg mark so I would be suprised if mine was less than this, the ibiza being a newer car has just more metal in its chassis and will never get down to what you can do with an XR2, 205, saxo etc or heaven forbid a citroen AX....500kg possible....but you would die instantly in a crash.

I'd be very happy with 850 if it was that - will get it weighed sometime soon and will post pics of windows when it stops raining

separate items - probably - give them a call

Rob

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Give me a month or so and i might be able to come up with somthing/service. Im just starting in the autoglazing trade and have been told they use polycarbonate as a temp fix. Thats assuming thats the kind of thing your talking about?

David.

Are we talking about the same kind of poly windows?

David.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
pics at last now the sun came out:

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.