Downshifting all the way down with my chinese paddles

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Actually the point of this post is not the chinese paddles thing, which by the way I really love. The focus is on the fact that if you keep your left paddle pulled for a second or more Dsg downshifts to the lower possible gear even jumping multiple gears. In my preview dsg cars that was not possible.

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
I do not recommend holding the left paddle while driving.

Last time I tested this feature - it selected 1st gear (4th to 1st) and my revs shot up near 8k which is beyond the useful torque curve and potentially engine damaging, especially on a cold engine.
  • If you anticipate you may need more responsive acceleration, put the gearbox into S mode with one pull on the gear selector. It will downshift to an appropriate gear for the speed you are doing.
  • If you need fastest possible acceleration, press the accelerator kickdown.
  • If you need immediate acceleration, press the accelerator down fully without going past the kickdown switch.
I will recommend holding the right paddle when you have been driving in manual mode to switch back to the last auto mode. It is a very convenient way to go back to auto without touching the gear selector, particularly after coming to a stop. Holding the right paddle will select D or S depending on which mode the gearbox was previously in.

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
I do not recommend holding the left paddle while driving.

Last time I tested this feature - it selected 1st gear (4th to 1st) and my revs shot up near 8k which is beyond the useful torque curve and potentially engine damaging, especially on a cold engine.
  • If you anticipate you may need more responsive acceleration, put the gearbox into S mode with one pull on the gear selector. It will downshift to an appropriate gear for the speed you are doing.
  • If you need fastest possible acceleration, press the accelerator kickdown.
  • If you need immediate acceleration, press the accelerator down fully without going past the kickdown switch.
I will recommend holding the right paddle when you have been driving in manual mode to switch back to the last auto mode. It is a very convenient way to go back to auto without touching the gear selector, particularly after coming to a stop. Holding the right paddle will select D or S depending on which mode the gearbox was previously in.
Very nice analysis.
Today it happened to me that the a massive wheel spin blocked dsg from making the limiter automatic upshift. The car waited strangled a good second before taking the decision to up shift. I have to try if that happens also in sport esp…

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.