dump valve springs?

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Ok, tbh I'm not 100% sure what turbin is saying - I know you can install the other way around to change the noise of them...

...but is the general consensus to go for the green or yellow spring? Thanks.

What turbins saying is that the dump valve works by vacuum lifting a piston allowing the air to flow through the valve, the one entry or exit pipe is on the side so acts on the side of the piston as opposed to on the spring, the other is directly under the piston so acts against the spring, if the pressure side is on the bottom acting against the spring it can help to push the piston and with a weak spring maybe even push it enough to dump the pressure, acting on the side of the piston it cant affect it as much.
If that makes sense.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Ok i decided to do a quick (and yes very bad) picture to illustrate it.

In the first picture the inlet is under the piston so the pressure is acting on the spring, in the second picture the pressure is coming in from the side so isn't acting vertically on the piston or spring

dump.jpg

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
to me its image one that looks the right one. How does image two work? Surely the dv wont work that way the spring wont be used at all.

The vacuum pipe is connected on the top which is what actually opens the valve against the spring, then the vacuum drops off and the spring closes the valve

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
what are the pros and cons of each set up then? Is any way more audible than the other?

Aparently one way is louder than the other, I think if you put the valve on its side then you get a louder sound through the air intake system as the charge air is recirculated. I just put mine on how the other one was.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi
Yes pic 1will give more sound
Cracking pics there well done :clap: even I understood that

@ lordgibbness , your quite welcome
Sarah