Emissions Control Light Failure?

chappie

Hi

New to the forum having had an Altea 1.6 for just 3 months now. Wondered if anyone has been suffering from the Emissions Light coming on intermittently ... well more constantly really.

First time was during a weekend and AA came out ran his diags and cleared the fault. He asked if we ran it low on petrol as it may be air getting into the system and advised we fill up at quarter full etc. Any truth in this?

Second time within 100 miles of 1st reset. This time back to the dealer who ran diags found no fault and reset it. I joked on picking it up that I'd see them in a couple of weeks ... how wrong was I. Next time car was used on again!

Light on again and waiting for dealer to fetch it tomorrow. I suspect same will happen again.

I commented when booking it in if there is likely to be a dodgy sensor anywhere that they could replace. Can't do that as unless diags say so they can't act.

Not at all happy at present, car only done 2600 miles.

Any comments or advice anyone can give would be appreciated.

Paul.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'll bet if it flashes a light, it'll log a fault - they're probably just ignoring it!

Perhaps try a new dealer, but emissions lights mainly 'show' when it's the cat (manufacturing flaw?)

chappie

As expected my dealer has found no fault and has been in touch with the Seat Technical Line(?) who have advised that we get a download of the next ECU settings once they are available ... which will mean another trip to the dealer ... and no guarantee of a fix.

No at all happy. Will get in touch with Seat Customer Services this afternoon.

Bloody useless.

chappie

Confimed by Seat Technical Assist that there is new Engine Management firmware that should be available in the next monthly update of the CD that goes out to dealers.

I'll post a response once loaded up and let you know if it fixes it.

For interest, light now on for 4th time and have been informed that I'm OK to drive the car. :shrug:

tezza

My daughter had much the same problem with her Ibiza, it turned out to be a faulty sensor on the exhaust. From comments on the Ibiza section here it is a common fault and caused by Seat siting the sensor on the side of the exhaust where the condensation collects and knackers the sensor.
I wouldnt trust what any Seat dealer says judging by comments on the other Forums and her experience of All Electric in Halesowen, and Seat customer services are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard .

Arciphel

i had the exact same issue with mine last week. tank was under 1/4 full and it was pishing rain down really heavily. Pulled in off the road to make a phone call and the Emissions control light came on. Switched the engine off and turned it back on again, but it was still there. filled up the petrol tank and it disappeared, so maybe it was just some bad unleaded in the tank?

chappie

Can you believe this. 5 weeks passes and I contact Seat to see what's happening thinking a month has passed and the disc should be available.

I am now told that they don't know if it's gone out and can't guarantee that the fix required will be on it anyway.

How crap are Seat Assist and all associated with supporting those of us who parted with the cash to buy one of their cars.

I am absolutely appalled at the lack of customer care.

Anyone from Seat reading? Please get in touch.

seatrookie

Did you get this problem solved? we seem to be suffering from the same thing at the moment with no idea of the cause ...

chappie

Hi

We did eventually get this resolved although it took almost 6 months and involved all sorts of correspondence to Seat. Contact Seat Assist and ask for Debbie Hiskins and quote our problems (Chapman, Reg: FP05 VXX).

The problem we had was that the computer diagnostics never found any fault so no one at our local dealers (or Willoughbys, Beeston) would do anything. The eventual fault was the Lambna sensor which was swapped and the fault has not reoccured.

What was really frustrating was that I suggested this to my dealers on the second visit after having similar problems on a Peugeot but they would not swap it as Seat UK would not cover costs etc.

Anyway, happy to advise further if necessary. Good luck.

Paul.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.