engine management light - emissions

aletchet

Apr 27, 2008
the emissions light or whatever came on, on saturday (what the manual describes) but it doesnt flash, its solid and after reading on here, its used as a generic fault light :)

sunday in the morning 6am came out of the garage fine, stopped at the bank, it was 0.5 degrees btw, took 3 cranks to start my car and it stalled one of the 3 times, after that it started but at 2krpm idle....

presumed something wasnt right so i borrowed my friends vag com today and it shows:

17704- Error in Mapped Cooling System

and ross tech:
Possible Symptoms

* Cold start issues

Possible Causes

* Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) faulty
* Coolant Thermostat faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
* Check Coolant Thermostat

which sounds about right for the symptoms :) - well the temperature is being read okay as i just tested it, i let it run for 5 mins and it went up to 90 fine.. this was also replaced about 3 months ago by the guy before.. so i guess that is being read by the coolant thermostat?..

therefore its probably the coolant temperature sensor, so i guess this is used to sort the mixture/idling when the car is cold etc??

Anyway how much are one of these sensors, im guessing the analysis is probably correct being that i did have starting problems in the cold :)
is it worth sourcing the parts and changing myself? is it easy to change? otherwise wheres the best place to get the part? and i guess ill get a garage to do it and hope the light goes off and the problem goes away:)

any help very much appreciated! - just had the clutch replaced 2 months ago because the slave cylinder was leaking so im hoping this time its not going to be expensive lol

Skint

Because i'm worthless..
Dec 7, 2008
On the A281
Howdy

Had similar problem recently, turned out to be a faulty engine coolant sensor.
I think the part is only about £22 or so, and i can't imagine it's too difficult to replace as it only took my mechanic about 5 minutes (or £20 as he calls it) to replace it.
Hope this helps.

TAFFY aka beast

loving a turbo car at 19
Oct 3, 2008
cardiff
when my temp sensor went the car had been standing all day jumped in turned her on and engine temp beep. i new it was on its way because i had ecu light saying intermitant fault changed it and up and running. i payed 22quid for it with a spare o ring......

aletchet

Apr 27, 2008
just ordered a new one with o ring and c clip.. will be changing it soon as it comes :)

TAFFY aka beast

loving a turbo car at 19
Oct 3, 2008
cardiff
get some coolant because you take the sensor out and its like taking the plug out. fill the coolant back up leave the lid off start the car let it all run throught squeese the pipes and a buble should come to the surface then ur up and away. just keep your eye on it for a bit tho......

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Temp sensors are one of the most common faults on VAG cars, from what you have writtem it definately seems the first thing to sort out. £23+VAT for the sensor and seal, and not a huge job to fit

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.