Engine Removal Hints and Tips Needed

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Has anyone got any tips on removal of the engine as i'm doing it this weekend and wondered if there was anything that could help me do it any special tools etc

plus am i right in saying the lifting points are on the left hand side(pulley side) of the head onthe front and one near the charge pipe?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Its time to bin your air con now, as thats a pain putting it back together.

Get some coolant.

The main multi plug on the right hand side of the engine pushes up and twists.

Clean the splines on the driveshafts so you make sure they dont round.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
I'm not sure about getting rid of the aircon comes in handy for the hot summer days we have!!!!

I'm getting the coolant today so thats sorted and the multi plug is that the one located under the right hand side of the inlet manifold ish?

What do you mean clean the splines on the drive shafts, you mean the 'box end?

ian_cupra

its fairly noddy really once you get started, few different ways of doing it. mine probably wasnt the best way but it was only way we could do it. BY HAND! :lol:

P060708_1502.jpg

P050708_1508.jpg

trolly jack and me and my brother to change it over! not fun really, we left the gear box in though

ian_cupra

o yeah and like phil says, get the air con out, just put windows down if your hot :lol:

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Got all the pipework and electrics undone today, just got to get the dp nuts undone now!!!:cry: then the big removal tomorrow:thumbup:

Think i'm going to leave the aircon in for now got to concentrate on one thing at a time!

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
How do the gearbos cables come off?

Are they on ball joints where the shifter arm is on top of the 'box and just pop off?

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Cheers for your vote of confidence phil!

was merely a question as i wasnt sure if they were on ball joints thats all.

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
quite easy m8 i changed my engine myself and ive never done it before they're just on balljoints and jus pop off just make sure when u put it back in u keep the wires out of the way as u might pinch a wire on the chassis leg like i did but that was a minor problem apart from 1 wire that was linked 2 a aftermarket alarm

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Cheers gaz got them off they were a piece of piddle in the end,

Got the engine out and 90% strippped down today so it's going well so far haven't had any hold ups as yet!

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
There coming mate but my mates got them on his phone you see, i'll do my best to get them up tomorrow as i'm not doing anything on it then.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Rebuild in prep for BT in the very near future hopfully,

Out of interest would a small crack in the turbo exhaust housing be bad in anyones eyes, also got a small crack in the manifold, would it be ok to put it back on for now?

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
bt build...be an interesting one to watch then...

As for the cracks i remeber reading somwhere somthing about the turbo exhaust housing cracking was a common thing...?

But id wait till somone with more knowledge maybe phillW or bill can confirm before doing anything...??

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.