Excessive Oil Consumption 1.8tsi

gaza1994

Jan 11, 2020
Scottish Borders
garethjohnstone.co.uk
Hi all,
So I've posted on here about oil issues in the past and sadly they are still continuing!

I'm noticing that about once a month I'm getting the oil light coming on stating I have no oil left (and its correct, its tickling the bottom of the dip stick)

There is no obvious leaks on the road side where I park my car and I certainly don't notice anything odd in terms of oil burning and shooting out the back in plooms of smoke!

When I spoke to the garage they just said, your probably looking at a new engine which is going to be very costly (but didnt state what the actual issue is or if there is something I can do to slow the death of the car down!

Realistically what could I be looking at as the problem here and has anyone else had similar issues with very high oil consumption?

TIA :)

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
You need to get underneath and have a look really closely. You might need to remove your undertray if you have one.
Pay particular attention to your oil sump pan for any cracks or scuffs. Evidence of an oil leak tends to spread backwards from the engine as it gets blown back towards the exhaust as the car moves, so look for oil around the subframe and middle of the car.

My cupra had an oil leak from where the plastic sump had scraped and punctured a tiny hole. Not enough for a constant drip but because of where it was, the pressure of all the engine oil forced it's way out through that tiny hole.

The honeycomb pattern of the plastic lower sump meant the oil pooled and spread first before causing any drips. I had to replace it eventually with a steel pan.