Fire damaged FR

jamieibizaFR

Sep 9, 2022
So early hours this morning someone decided to intentionally set fire to my car , it burned for around 15 minutes before I woke up to fire brigade outside.
The car obviously is quite badly damaged but I’m thinking if I can get a donor car and swap all the damaged parts over the car maybe repairable .
The parts I have currently identified as damaged are :
Wiper arm
Wiper skuttle panel
OSF wheel arch liner
Driver side undertray
passenger side undertray
Fuel tank
fuel lines
X2 tyres (melted but not burst)
Possible cv boot
coolant expansion tank
Obviously paint damage
Cracked windscreen
Dashboard melted above driver side
Instrument cluster has water inside
Steering wheel
Rear bumper
And a few more bits , roughly 90% of the parts listed can be taken from a donor car and potentially save my car that I love and have had since I was 17 I’m now 21, and have looked after this car so much and it is definitely my pride and joy, it is truly one of a kind to me and can’t let this car go to scrap when I believe it is fixable, I am a skilled mechanic and believe I can take on this job as long as I take my time and ensure everything is done right.
What’s your opinion? Should I rebuild?

Attachments

• B135E86A-DB99-4CD9-BE1D-EAF421C55A90.jpeg
    B135E86A-DB99-4CD9-BE1D-EAF421C55A90.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8716.png
    IMG_8716.png
    389 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8708.jpeg
    IMG_8708.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8719.jpeg
    IMG_8719.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Sorry to hear this. I can understand you wanting to get your car put back together, The issue may be:
you may never get the smell of smoke out of the interior without replacing everything
How much water damage is there to the electrics / ECUs?
Of course, with enough time, enthusiasm and money (!) anything can be done,, but there is a good reason that many fire damaged cars get written off.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Depends if it’s financially beneficial or not. I’d let it go, like EYR said ☝🏼 Then you can get paid out, and get a new car and build a relationship with that. It may not seem like it now, but you could get a better car, that you’ll like even more!

jamieibizaFR

Sep 9, 2022
Sorry to hear this. I can understand you wanting to get your car put back together, The issue may be:
you may never get the smell of smoke out of the interior without replacing everything
How much water damage is there to the electrics / ECUs?
Of course, with enough time, enthusiasm and money (!) anything can be done,, but there is a good reason that many fire damaged cars get written off.
I’m hoping that electricals aren’t water damaged but If they are I’m hoping parts from a donor car can be easily swapped. I’m hoping it’s possible to complete the rebuild using almost all the parts from a donor car ( eg a none runner ) , at the moment it’s still very distressing :(

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
The only thing is the insurance will pay very little due to the car being 2014 and also I am not in a good financial state at the moment to be able to buy or finance a new car and be able to insure it .
In that case, I’d say just treat it as a car, and that’s it. Repair it if it’s financially viable. If not, then get a new one if you’re able to. If I were to sell my car, or it got written off, I’d be at a huge loss financially too, so I can understand your situation. I’m just trying keep my car going for as long as possible to be honest.

jamieibizaFR

Sep 9, 2022
In that case, I’d say just treat it as a car, and that’s it. Repair it if it’s financially viable. If not, then get a new one if you’re able to. If I were to sell my car, or it got written off, I’d be at a huge loss financially too, so I can understand your situation. I’m just trying keep my car going for as long as possible to be honest.
Thanks for your support mate
thanks for you’re advice , I think maybe in this case I’d have to take the loss as I won’t have the time or possibly even money to fix it as I’d need a car for work etc , the worst thing about it is I have a 2 year old in the house and the car was parked further up the driveway but somehow the handbrake gave way and rolled back down the hill, it actually hit another parked car causing minor damage and almost hit 2 firemen trying to put out the fire . I have a family member who has a car I can maybe buy from him for a good price but that means I can’t come on this forum as it’s not a seat, it’s a Jaguar but I guess I did need a family car 🙄

jamieibizaFR

Sep 9, 2022
So early hours this morning someone decided to intentionally set fire to my car , it burned for around 15 minutes before I woke up to fire brigade outside.
The car obviously is quite badly damaged but I’m thinking if I can get a donor car and swap all the damaged parts over the car maybe repairable .
The parts I have currently identified as damaged are :
Wiper arm
Wiper skuttle panel
OSF wheel arch liner
Driver side undertray
passenger side undertray
Fuel tank
fuel lines
X2 tyres (melted but not burst)
Possible cv boot
coolant expansion tank
Obviously paint damage
Cracked windscreen
Dashboard melted above driver side
Instrument cluster has water inside
Steering wheel
Rear bumper
And a few more bits , roughly 90% of the parts listed can be taken from a donor car and potentially save my car that I love and have had since I was 17 I’m now 21, and have looked after this car so much and it is definitely my pride and joy, it is truly one of a kind to me and can’t let this car go to scrap when I believe it is fixable, I am a skilled mechanic and believe I can take on this job as long as I take my time and ensure everything is done right.
What’s your opinion? Should I rebuild?
EDIT* Forgot to mention the passenger side Is basically untouched apart from some black carbon from the smoke coming from underneath where the undertray that protects the brake pipes had burnded

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I would also say that from the electrics perspective its not just a case of buying second hand and fitting there will be a lot of components that have vw component protection so you will also have to pay somebody or a stealer (as in dealer not thief) to code it to your car.

Afraid as much as you love your current motor I very much doubt its financially worth trying to repair it.

jamieibizaFR

Sep 9, 2022
Police can’t do anything? Find culprits and get them to pay you?
They did take a bottle that he used, for fingerprints I imagine since the bottle was on the ground near the car, but the police where I live are really bad they don’t do much , it’s basically lawless . I see the usa flag on your profile, are you from USA ? I’m from uk

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
They did take a bottle that he used, for fingerprints I imagine since the bottle was on the ground near the car, but the police where I live are really bad they don’t do much , it’s basically lawless . I see the usa flag on your profile, are you from USA ? I’m from uk
Nah, my location isn’t showing correctly on here. I’m from Stoke-on-Trent. Similar police here too.

jamieibizaFR

Sep 9, 2022
Nah, my location isn’t showing correctly on here. I’m from Stoke-on-Trent. Similar police here too.
Yeah I realised after I clicked post lol I viewed you profile and saw UK , I’m from the north east area near Durham

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.