first impressions of mk2 leon

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
finally dragged my lazy arse into a seat dealership today to have a proper look at the mk2 up close and personal. they had a standard fr in brisa blue and a standard fr in black, well, standard except for the 18" alloy option. my initial thoughts:

- the shape has now grown on me sufficiently for the mk2 to be a serious contender when i change later this year.

- i would have to go for the 18" option, even if the ride suffers slightly (does it?) as the 17"s do nothing for me and look just a bit on the small side.

- obviously i've not had the chance to live with it for days / weeks, but on first impressions the interior seemed okay to me, slightly cheaper than my mk1? yes. but i didn't get in and think 'my god this is sh*te!!' i know it ain't gonna stop a determined thief, but i'd still have liked a lock on the glove box door, oh and i don't like the ashtray (at least i think it was an ashtray?)

- liked the fr seats, steering wheel, gearknob (think i might be in the minority with the last one?)

- walked around the showroom like a plank viewing it from all angles and at various distances, all in all i quite like it, although i've not fallen in love with the overall car as i did with the mk1.

all i need to do now is drive one! i passed the audi garage, didn't have time to go in to see the tt up close, another day.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
after actually living with the interior you dont give a fook about it anymore ;)

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
after actually living with the interior you dont give a fook about it anymore ;)
from my point of view 'wear and tear' factor ain't really a consideration, very rarely have folk in the back seats, don't allow anyone to smoke, drink, eat sticky / smelly food stuff, so my car interiors ain't subjected to much. i liked the layout so, as you say, after a few days i'll just be living with it, if i go for the leon that is!

carlt69

Jan 6, 2006
You need to drive one to really understand how much of an improvement it is :)

Yeah I agree, I test drove a TDI FR and the handling and steering response was in a different league compared to my mk1. It's seemed very direct and well, it got me hooked :D

Xe

I think the interior of my Stylance is great! Nice dark colours and textures. If you don't have the climate control, and have the 3 black nobs then I admit it ruins the flow.

For all those that do not like the interior of the MK2, what car in the same-ish class has the best/better interior? So I can go and have a look.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I think the interior is great. As you'll see from a previous post last year at the motorshow I compared the interior of the Cupra against all the other cars I sat in, ST, MPS etc. and it came out top IMHO. The nicest place to be. I even really like the gear knob.

Scott

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
I think the interior of my Stylance is great! Nice dark colours and textures. If you don't have the climate control, and have the 3 black nobs then I admit it ruins the flow.

For all those that do not like the interior of the MK2, what car in the same-ish class has the best/better interior? So I can go and have a look.

Go have a look at the inside of a GTI.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I agree with others, the interior is no worse a place to be than my R was. I certainly don't find it cheaper or of any lesser quality. It's possible it may not be upto the same quality as some other marques. But then your paying a lot more for the privilage of those higher quality plastics.

The textures are different, I like the carbon like effect of the dashboard, the smooth silver plastic breaks up the colours nicely. The layout is intuitive and uncluttered, the switches and knobs all appear to be and feel robust.

No creaks or rattles as yet that i've noticed.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Difference of opinion is good, but from where I am sitting I got more car for my money in my opinion. It might not have the build quality of the Golf, but its not that far behind.

Most importantly its the same engineering underneath.

I could of had a Golf30 but I would of been looking at 3 or 4 grand more for the privilage of what I see as the same car with a VW badge.

Not dissing the Golf GTI though, because to do so would be stupid. Its my car with a different frock on. :)

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Difference of opinion is good, but from where I am sitting I got more car for my money in my opinion. It might not have the build quality of the Golf, but its not that far behind.

Most importantly its the same engineering underneath.

I could of had a Golf30 but I would of been looking at 3 or 4 grand more for the privilage of what I see as the same car with a VW badge.

Not dissing the Golf GTI though, because to do so would be stupid. Its my car with a different frock on. :)

I've test driven both, the differences between the 2 cars don't justify the price gap, also the Gti has the kudos from the press, but I feel the Cupra, because of the shape, is more unique, lets face it, the Gti looks like a golf on steroids (expensive ones)...

Last edited:

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
Personally, I can live with cheaper plastics, similar performance, a better looking car (IMO) and £4k+ still in my pocket. :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise