Fitted boost gauge today

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
I've just tried the fitting method on this thread, i've drilled through but cant work out where its coming out behind the dash lol. Any help would be most welcome lol

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Hey up, you need to open the fuse box (open the door and remove the cubby cover on the end of the dash), you need to unscrew the fuse holders, they will come out far enough for you to get your arm in and find the tubing, getting someone to waggle the tube on the way in through the box to give you n idea of where it is.

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
i found it eventually, was a lot further to the right than i expected, took a lot of hooking about with a coat hanger but it made it through in the end!

Just out of interest, what is it your actually drilling through, the plastic casing and then some insulation is it?

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
nope when I drilled through it was just the black plastic, once I figured out drilling that bit of plastic the actual pipework locating was done in a couple of mins including connecting to the gauge.
To me its a lot tidier than using a grommet in the bulkhead.

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
how do i go about wiring it in? i have 2 cables.. red-positive black-nagative and yellow-ignition..

do i just disconnect the battery, then twist the bits of cable around the correct wires that are in the dimmer bit? and then slot em back in? total noob when it comes to wiring

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
You do need to trim back a little of the dimmer unit wiring so you get a good contact, if you are going to solder them on, do it gently so as not to burn away the existing sleeving which could possibly short something out.

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
i wasnt intending on soldering as i dont have a soldering kit..nor the experience to attempt it..could i pull the cable out, and wrap the corresponding gauge cable around it, the plug it back into the wire socket?

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
got some scotch locks today.. i want my gauge to dim with the dimmer,

my gauge has the following;

red - positive
black - negative
yellow - ignition.

which do i have to put each wire to on the following pics? so that it dims?

switchedlive.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.