Fitting 6x9's in the rear of my mk4 Ibiza... Done!

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
I had been searching some time ago about maybe fitting some 6x9's in the rear of my mk4 Ibiza, but couldn't find any pictures or a definite answer if it was possible. A month or so ago, I looked behind the rear panels, and could see there looked to be loads of room, so I went ahead and some some Alpine 6x9's...

And today I finally found the time to fit them in the car! I also bought a small sheet of MDF, approx 0.75m x 0.75m and some brown bread sound deadening (was super cheap on ebay, think I paid £3 for two sheets 0.3m x 0.3m). I took it all to my work at 09:30, and this is how it happened...

Here's one of the speakers, Alpine SXE-6925.

28_12_2011_101614_iPhone.jpg

I took the rear panel out on the driver side, then used the rear of the box the speakers came in to start making a template (mainly because it had a template for the speaker shape and hole positions).

28_12_2011_101640_iPhone.jpg

Then after much adjusting, I ended up with this shape, using 3 existing holes, which I imagine must be for the factory speakers mounts (hopefully you can see the 3 small arrows I drew on the metal work.

28_12_2011_102449_iPhone.jpg

So I cut out a piece of the MDF, and stupidly I thought that the MDF speaker mount could sit on the front of the metal work, just as the cardboard template is in the previous picture... After a trial fit of the MDF mount, then the plastic panel, the plastic panel would not quite fit as it was touching the speaker. So I had to mount the MDF mount on the rear of the metal work, and then found that the hole on the left hand side couldn't be used. I then had to slightly shorten the MDF mount, and create my own hole by drilling through the metal work (was nice and easy with a decent drill). To then mount the panel in place, I cut up a few small pieces of MDF, with a 6mm hole in as clearance for mounting screws to the metal work. Because of the contour/shape of the metal work, you need to use small spacers to stand the mount off from the metal work correctly.

28_12_2011_122729_iPhone.jpg

So below is the final MDF panel in position, plus another picture to show the drilled hole position, in relation to the previous hole position I was going to use. Even with the MDF mounted behind the metal work, there is still loads of room for the speakers.

28_12_2011_171727_iPhone.jpg

28_12_2011_171808_iPhone.jpg

And how does it sound? Together with the Alpine components in the doors, it sounds great! The 6x9's do add a nice depth/extra bass to the music. Maybe the best thing to do next would be to run the 6x9's off an amp...

Anyway, I hope this showed what can be fitted in the massive space there is behind the rear panel :)

barney501

1/4 mile - 14.75 @ 92.84
Oct 8, 2009
Bath
Just the job mate. Was thinking about putting some into the rear of my Cupra. Fitted bew Diamond Audio M661 components into the doors couple of weeks back and i have a set of JBL 6x9 in the garage from my old mini. May dig them out and get them fitted!

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Nice, wish I'd done this myself tbh, I've got mine in an Auto Acoustics stealth shelf with mine in, with alpine comps in the doors, run off a 4channel Ground Zero amp. I would recommend amping them, depending on the model you will get much better frequency response from a matched amp than the tiny amp in a HU can produce.

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Cheers for the responses. The more I drive the car now, the more glad I am that I did this, as the sound is so much better having the 6x9's in the rear. I've only ever had 6x9's fitted on parcel shelves before (as is probably the norm), but having them in this low position seems to help them add a good bit of bass to the stereo (of course not sub woofer style bass, but definitely a little extra than just my door components..)

Barney - Do it, nice little project!!

But as you say Chino, might be a nice idea in the future to add an amp. Would be really easy too, as it's very easy to get access to the cable terminals on the speakers. Just need a good point to take the main power for the amp from...

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Great write up, iam a sucker for pics ;)

What Head are you running with this set up.

How do these compare with the Seat standard one's in the back, which I assume they are only single way ?

Edit.

Your gonna tell me you had none fitted Doh ! ;-)

Last edited:

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
I would imagine any aftermarket speakers will muller the standard bilge that most manufacturers fit(standard quality looked shocking when I took mine out of the Ibiza). Also, I imagine you get an 'enclosed' effect by fitting them in the rear like you have, whereas on a shelf generally they aren ot, which can only enhance the sound.

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I thought the idea of the putting them on the shelf was the whole boot was in effect the enclosed box.

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Krussel - Pioneer DEH-1300MP, which was fairly cheap. Main reason I bought it was because it matched the instrument colours. And yeah, there was no speakers fitted already in the back :D

Chino - Yeah I know what you mean, the standard ones that were in the doors were pretty shocking. It made a massive difference alone putting in the alpine components! And yeah you're right about the speaker placement, I think the space the speakers have fitted into does make quite a nice enclosure.

But after looking around for 6x9 enclosures to get an idea of their average volume, they seem to be around the 0.4 cubic feet mark. I reckon the space behind the rear panels in the Ibiza is double that at least. So that certainly means that the boot is too big an enclosure for 6x9's...

Oh and in case this is handy for anyone wanting to build a box for your speakers/subs, this is a good website:

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I need to pop off my door cars to add some sound deading so i may look at changing the the standard speakers. However is it worth it with the Alana head unit, prob not. :shrug:

IBIZA_W1LL

JoinedTheDarkside!
Jul 28, 2010
Sussex/Plymouth/London
I know this is an old thread but my question is relevant so thought I'd ask here!

I'm trying to fit some 6x9s in the back (as per this guide) but I have no idea how to remove the old speakers/brackets.... They seem to be metal clip things that I just can't see anyway of get them off, any ideas?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I know this is an old thread but my question is relevant so thought I'd ask here!

I'm trying to fit some 6x9s in the back (as per this guide) but I have no idea how to remove the old speakers/brackets.... They seem to be metal clip things that I just can't see anyway of get them off, any ideas?

Might need a pic to see. :confused:

Could you drill them out ?

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
They look like pop rivets to me - jam a screwdriver or something in/under the edge while you drill, to stop them spinning.

Glasgow2ibiza

Was considering doing this myself seeing as I need my boot for work (no space for sub) glad it is do-able
Do you need any adaptors to plug the 6x9s in?
Thanks

IBIZA_W1LL

JoinedTheDarkside!
Jul 28, 2010
Sussex/Plymouth/London
You will have to snip and strip the wires and then your best off crimping some female spade connectors on the ends to go onto the terminals on the speakers, job done!

Last edited:

Glasgow2ibiza

Cheers mate hopefully getting this done soon
Putting a set of vibe components in the front today

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members