Fog lamps - height adjustment??

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I took the plastic surroung off from around the fog lamps (pre Cupra body kit) to see if they were easy - not too bad but did manage to scratch the bumper trying :censored: Hopefully it will polish out :( ...

I can see the two torx srrews to take the unit out. There is another smaller torx screw in the front at the bottom, is this for beam height adjustment? Ideally, I would like the lamps to shine further rather than the ground in front of the car!

Any advise? Thanks.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Kam said:
Ideally, I would like the lamps to shine further rather than the ground in front of the car!

Any advise? Thanks.

Fog lights are DESIGNED to light the kerbs and ground directly in front of the car... ;)

Advise? Dont turn them on... ITS NOT FOGGY :D

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Cupramax said:
Fog lights are DESIGNED to light the kerbs and ground directly in front of the car... ;)

I see, just seems too immediate in front of the car.

Cupramax said:
Advise? Dont turn them on... ITS NOT FOGGY :D

I don't intend to unless driving conditions requires them!

Last edited:

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Kam said:
I took the plastic surroung off from around the fog lamps (pre Cupra body kit) to see if they were easy - not too bad but did manage to scratch the bumper trying :censored: Hopefully it will polish out :( ...

I can see the two torx srrews to take the unit out. There is another smaller torx screw in the front at the bottom, is this for beam height adjustment? Ideally, I would like the lamps to shine further rather than the ground in front of the car!

Any advise? Thanks.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks.

Kam said:
Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks.
Yes, those 2 torx screws are indeed to adjust the height of the beam. But, as already mentioned by CupraMax, they're designed to light just the kerbs and the ground just in front of your car, for about 5 meters. This is because of the fact that when it is foggy, you can't really see more than a few meters ahead. You then need to turn of the normal beams and turn on the foglights. This way, you're not blinded by the light reflected by the fog and you can navigate because you can see the kerbs and a bit of the road. All thanks to to low adjusted foglights which shine _under_ the fog...

So, don't adjust them any higher than factory default, it's useless. You'll only blind other ppl and yourself because of the light reflecting in the fog.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
MrEdge_ said:
Yes, those 2 torx screws are indeed to adjust the height of the beam. But, as already mentioned by CupraMax, they're designed to light just the kerbs and the ground just in front of your car, for about 5 meters. This is because of the fact that when it is foggy, you can't really see more than a few meters ahead. You then need to turn of the normal beams and turn on the foglights. This way, you're not blinded by the light reflected by the fog and you can navigate because you can see the kerbs and a bit of the road. All thanks to to low adjusted foglights which shine _under_ the fog...

So, don't adjust them any higher than factory default, it's useless. You'll only blind other ppl and yourself because of the light reflecting in the fog.

Thanks...

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
MrEdge_ said:
np. I'm not sure what they're called in proper English, but the Leon foglights are so called "wide beams". There are also lights which have "far beams" (verstralers in Dutch). Maybe you're mistaking the fog lights for being far beams. (I know I did when I just had the Leon. Had exactly the same question :))

ahh-ha! Think you knocked the nail on the head there!! :cheers:

Theodore

Nov 19, 2002
Athens Greece
Visit site
Hi.
I have put HID in fog lights. They are very strong, but the beams are not symmetrical. So, I see well the left road side, but not the right one, which I do need.
Is it possible to adjust the beams left, right?

Theodore.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
really, REALLY sorry for dragging up an old thread, but it seems to answer some of my q's in another newer thread...

I have found a small torx screw to the side of the fog - which i assume is what you talk about for adjustment.

However, my new fog light seems loose inside - ie the bulb and bulb housing is lose, and i can move it up and down.

Does anyone know how the adjustment works? Does the screw clamp onto the bulb holder, and then tighten its grip, and then adjust height?

Mine just seems too loose, and the whole light assembly inside just seems to flop about with no adjustment of the screw.
Thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds like the adjuster end is loose from the reflector inside it

pull it out and look inside along where the screw goes in

dont rememember em being loose ill be honest

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
SORTED! It was just majorly loose - tightening the screw up has tightened the whole thing up :D

Just have to see what happens when i get it on the car, and align it properly. Hopefully i can get it set low without it being loose again.

Cheers Fl@pper!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.