FR LED sill light not working

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Hi,

I’ve recently noticed the LED ‘FR’ sill light on my driver’s side door sill isn’t working, does anybody know whether this is an easy fix or not?

Thanks,
James.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Quick and easy job to pop the illuminated sill up (use a plastic trim tool) and check the connection. If the plug has come loose, problem solved - if it still doesn't light up you'll need a replacement sill, as (on the facelift at least) it's not a bulb it's an led integrated into the strip as a single unit

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Ah, will give that a go in the week, thank you!

Mine is the facelift unfortunately, so fingers crossed it is just the connector then.

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Apologies, this is probably a really stupid question but I assume it’s this part of the trim that needs removing?!

Thanks.
F7136F9D-9E76-469D-9EC6-9E5E25A847A8.jpeg

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, that’s the one. You will need a trim removal tool prise it off.

There is a ribbon/connector from the illuminated sill kick plate going in-board in the centre (where the FR badge is) that connects to the vehicle loom.

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Ah cool, thank you! Will have to invest in a trim removal tool and then take a look.

Is there a particular end of the trim it’s easier to start on when removing it?

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Managed to get inside the trim, doesn’t look like the plug is loose, so think it’s the LED that potentially gone. Anybody know what voltage the LED is, so I can test it before ordering a replacement!

Thanks.

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Tested the cable earlier and it’s definitely getting power to the socket, so having re seated the plug a couple of times, it looks like it’s defo a replacement part required!

In terms of removing the old sill plate, would heating it with a hairdryer help loosen the adhesive or would I need something more powerful?

Thanks!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Hair dryer / heat gun will be fine. Plastic trim removal tool underneath to lift. They are flimsy and easily damaged so don’t even think about trying to repair it. Will also need some IPA or ‘sticky stuff remover’ to remove the glue residue/clean prior to reapplication.

New Cupra sill was about £60 from memory.

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Hair dryer / heat gun will be fine. Plastic trim removal tool underneath to lift. They are flimsy and easily damaged so don’t even think about trying to repair it. Will also need some IPA or ‘sticky stuff remover’ to remove the glue residue/clean prior to reapplication.

New Cupra sill was about £60 f
Ah cheers, will have a look at that tomorrow fingers crossed! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :)

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Old sill off and all cleaned up, just waiting on the new one to arrive, so hopefully will be a quick job to fix that on :)

51703A60-3170-4BEE-800D-FD061F2B7F8C.jpeg

Reactions: TripleBob

Cupra Ultimate

Dec 15, 2016
Hello, I have seat leon cupra 2019 and my sill doesn't work neither
i brought the car to the dealer and they tested evrerything they say its gettin power but the led doesn't turn on, they even put new one but doesn't light up neither. they told me maybe its a coding. can someone help me figure this out.

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Hi. Ah that’s odd, I knew mine was definitely getting power as I tested the cable with a multi meter.

If it’s getting power then a new one should fix the issue, I doubt it would be related to coding if the cable itself is getting power. I assume the other one on the other side is working fine?

Cupra Ultimate

Dec 15, 2016
actually both of them are not working, and thats the reason i decide to take it to the dealer to let them sort it out.
they say they try new one and the new doesnt light up..

jameswhit

Jan 31, 2020
Ah ok, if they are both not working then it could be a coding issue then. I just had one not working on the driver’s side, so new a new unit should fix it. Hope you manage to get it sorted!

Cupra Ultimate

Dec 15, 2016
Actually when i bought the car 1 side was working and suddenly the other stop working. So you think its a coding issue. What do i need to ckde. I have vcds and obd11. If you can tell me what to code i can check it

Cupra Ultimate

Dec 15, 2016
i wonder what do i need to code, because i found only this on the internet.
Plug in VCDS to re-code both the drivers & passenger door control modules as follows:-
· Select Control Module [Select]
· [42-Door Elec, Driver] & [52-Door Elec, Pass] will need coding separately.
· [Coding -07],
· [Long Coding],
· [Long Coding Helper],
· Byte1,
· Bit2, tick the box marked “Door exit/warning light installed”.
and mine was allready marked.
so i think the dealer is lying or i dont know.
hope someone can help me sort this out

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members