FR Vs Cupra

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
As an 190 FR owner

The FR has normal shocks the FR Sport has DCC (and some other extra bits of kit - leather / headlight wash / 18" alloys etc)
FR and FR Sport for the 2.0 190 both have GPF. Mine has not caused any problem but does make it quiet.
I have had the water pump issue (done under warranty) and new updated part installed and not been an issue since so something to check agreed
The 190's have the DQ-381 (stronger box) well mine did when I scanned it and they also have independent rear suspension like the Cupra's

Apart from water pump and a new mic for the carphone / voice interface and a suspension squeak that turned out to be the headlight leveller on the rear suspension arm (nearside) mine been great. No complaints
Thanks for correcting me, I'm not sure what I was thinking! Well I do, I was thinking of the 1.8tsi 177 engine with the weak dq200!

The 190 FR sport sounds awesome, and I'm sure you could bolt on an is38 and some other bits and get 350bhp+ easily just like you can with the 1.8tsi gen3?

Reactions: Eskilation

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Thanks for correcting me, I'm not sure what I was thinking! Well I do, I was thinking of the 1.8tsi 177 engine with the weak dq200!

The 190 FR sport sounds awesome, and I'm sure you could bolt on an is38 and some other bits and get 350bhp+ easily just like you can with the 1.8tsi gen3?

Not correcting more expanding on your detail as it’s been discussed a few times when I was buying mine. 190s are a rare beast (sleeper)😜👍.

I know a few have mapped a bit more and did read main diff was bigger turbo on Cupra and 190s set up more for economy on the std map.

Still contemplating an exhaust mod personally as nice burble would just make a diff. But the gpf kills most of it.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Not correcting more expanding on your detail as it’s been discussed a few times when I was buying mine. 190s are a rare beast (sleeper)😜👍.

I know a few have mapped a bit more and did read main diff was bigger turbo on Cupra and 190s set up more for economy on the std map.

Still contemplating an exhaust mod personally as nice burble would just make a diff. But the gpf kills most of it.
Guys the 2.0 190 is not a cupra engine, if has different stroke length and compression ratio. It does 250 mapped same as my older 1.8tsi.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

No, you'd never get anywhere near 350.
Have a read of the link I shared on the first page "Behind Audi’s new rightsized efficient EA888 Gen.3B family"

Really a completely different engine to the Cupra - even though they both share 2.0 size, and EA888 name - the B is very important.
The 190 is optimised/designed more for efficiency - which also means it compromised for ultimate performance.
Different heads with smaller valves and less valve overlap, more swirl - good for efficiency - bad for ultimate power.
Higher compression - good for efficiency - bad for ultimate power.

The 190 is nice and nippy and 'potentially' efficient - but for ultimate power the Cupra engine is on another level.

Same story with the 184TDI - nice nippy & efficient engine - but limited in its ultimate power potential by the design compromises to make it efficient, high swirl cylinder heads - If you want to really tune your TDI the previous gen is in another level.

For me, for a road car the 190 and 184 are more than enough performance especially with a remap - just don't go racing a Cupra!

Reactions: mjj4 and Yoshi
Feb 28, 2023
I've got a 2018 1.8TSi FR and I'm very happy with it, I deliberately went for a manual gearbox rather than DSG.

Pretty sure looking at the spec and service history that it's an ex-fleet car. I'd make the same choice again.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.