Front window Tinting?

deann

Dec 9, 2009
Wolves
Thinking about having the front windows tinted on the cupra.

When ringing to request quotes... I'm being informed that by law you can not have the front driver and passenger windows tinted??

Now im not talking a silly Limo Black or even Dark Smoke..

But just a light smoke..... Now i see loads of motors driving round with front tinted windows?

Who out there has theres done and have you ever been stopped??

To tints or not to tint??

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
I didn't think it was illegal to have them tinted, but having them too dark is an offence. They have to allow a certain percentage of light through, can't remember what it is off the top of my head

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
70% of light to pass through the glass is the limit IIRC. It's your choice but if they spot you (and in an orange car they will) they can fine you and make you peel them off, on the spot.

Last edited:

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
legally you can have 30% tint on front sides...i got 35% all-round on mine and never been stopped, all depends how much attention you want to attract ;)

all tinters have to let you know that the law states you can't tint the fronts so they don't get done over

deann

Dec 9, 2009
Wolves
75% of light to pass through the glass is the limit IIRC. It's your choice but if they spot you (and in an orange car they will) they can fine you and make you peel them off, on the spot.

lol thank you all for your speedy replies.. The orange you see is just a photoshop trick i picked up... It the same as what they use an all the Page 3 Models....lol:funk:

Feb 26, 2009
London
I have all my windows tinted a part of windscreen :D Front were done in lightest shade which was I think 30% I had my done by Pentagon. They said any darker than that would be illegall. Rest is limo black.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
IIRC the lateset regulations mean the factory tint is just about the limit, so any tint film will push it over.

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
I have my front windows tinted for a while now they are about 40% light passing threw them, they dont look that much darker then before

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
IIRC the lateset regulations mean the factory tint is just about the limit, so any tint film will push it over.

+1

I had my black Ibiza FR done, light smoke on front sides and got stopped by the boys in blue and had to peel them off or they were going to impound my car and give me 3 points PER WINDOW!

Now with my Leon FR i have left everything standard (includes factory rear window tint) and spend money on more useful mods that arnt illegal :D

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
so technically having front windows tinted to the same level as rear windows on stock Leon FR is not an option because they would be too dark?

steveyg

CANDY WHITE FR!!
Feb 19, 2008
Ive got mine done light smoke on the front two and no problems yet... and police round here are busy as f**k. Also blends in well with the rears that are factory done! :)

Feb 24, 2010
London
Hello guys, got a leon mk1 2004 plate in black, thinking to get it tinted, anyone had theirs tinted in london? any pics? prices? and recomendations of where to do it? maybe what film is best to use ? Thanks

steve81

has anyone had the two front small triangle windows done because i've been told that i can't have them tinited also can anyone recommend anywhere good in the warwick/stratford area cheers

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
has anyone had the two front small triangle windows done because i've been told that i can't have them tinited also can anyone recommend anywhere good in the warwick/stratford area cheers

Why would you want to if you have "standard" fronts, it would look like a chess board gone wrong imo.

steve81

Why would you want to if you have "standard" fronts, it would look like a chess board gone wrong imo.

Just to put you straight I'm tinting the driver & passenger windows too so all the window match

Last edited by a moderator:

steve81

mine are done :)
silly question mate and i already know the answer but do they good or do they look great and roughly how much did it cost to have done??
plus i'd like to see some pic's

miss_cupraR

lovin' the leon
Jan 24, 2009
Lurgan
i had my windows tinted medium

got pulled over by cops and they did the test on them and it wasnt letting enough light through then the policeman showed me numbers that are on the windows at the bottom (prob a name of them but i cant mind off the top of my head) and he told me that my windows (without tint) are the darkest they can be.... ie not dark at all [:@]

i miss my tints :( now i just wear sunglasses all the time :lol:

luckily i only got a 30 quid fine and no points because i pulled them off there and then

steve81

God dam fuzz they just don't have anything better to do than pick on the motorist and that is how they make their money all these bloody fines. Right I've finished moaning

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.