fuel tank is leaking

jennings

doe anyone know how to replace a fuel tank, mine is leaking, if i fill the tank to full it leaks from the top of the tank somewhere and obviously this is very annoying, can anyone help

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Are you sure it's the tank and not the fuel filter it's self?
These are known to go but never heard of the fuel tank going.
The filter is just in front of the rear offside wheel

jennings

i think i have found where it is leaking from today, i found a little porthole under the rear seats took that off and there was a strong smell of petrol and residue, im not sure where to go from here. i think that may be the fuel pump im not sure though do you know, im 1000% its not the fuel filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If the smells coming from there you should really smell it in the car too, do you?
Also if you do I hope you or your mates don't smoke in the car

jennings

yes it smells in the car, prettty bad have to drive with the windows open, and no one is smoking in the car lol i wouldnt like to die yet lol

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
There not like metal tanks that rust, the only way its going to crack is with an immence force, there deisgned to withstand crashes for god sakes, so if your tank is cracked or has a hole in, please do tell me how you did it lol. Im pretty sure theres a seal where the pump sits in the tank, If your brimming the tank this explains your fuel leak, it would also explain the vapour smell in the cabin, its been ages since i last saw under the cover, last time was 2 years ago on an a3 that was filled with diesel.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
I knew i was right :) vag cat confirms there is a seal under the big locking ring that holds the fuel pump down.

vagcat001tank.jpg

Simple to replace, undo the locking ring and the seal is there. Now im not sure if the pump sits on the seal, or the seal sits on the pump, 2 years is a long time without looking but either way its likely to be that, either that or the filler neck - tank somwhere. I wouldent jump at the chance to take the tank out it looks an arse.

Easyest way to diagnose is fill it to the brim, and have the cover off in the fuel station and have a look to see if it is this seal, if not then its likely to be the filler neck.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.