Funny noise from y Cupra on warm up

antzleoncupra

Jun 24, 2009
Billericay
Hi,

Not long had my Cupra and it seems to make a funny noise when its idleing on warm up, leave it about 20 seconds or so and it suddenly goes. Any ideas what this could be?

antzleoncupra

Jun 24, 2009
Billericay
yea thats the same as what mines doing

yea it may be around 30 seconds or so but yea something shuts off and it sounds fine after. Also,complete different problem here, how do you switch between the cd changer and ipod? still cant work it out.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
are you blipping the throttle from cold?,,,On idle dont blip the throttle from cold, these engines dont like it, they tend to run overly rich and miss on one cylinder, giving a clatter and a slight body shake until the auto choke drops off,

other than that
secondary coolant pump?

Proc

Dec 24, 2007
Sheffield
Yeah sounds like secondary air pump, always get looks off ppl walking by as though there's something wrong with the car. It does sound quite loud until it shuts it off the revs should drop back to normal.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
secondary air pump pretty much for sure, but is it a new noise? if it is then it could be that yours is knackered and leaking air so your now noticing it more.

Also on the ipod front, you cant have a standard ipod kit and a CD changer simultaneously so you must be running a specific aftermarket solution, without knowing what you have its a little hard to advise.

I for instance have the CDC and then 2 aux inputs which are switched between the 3 by pressing the little button that came with the kit, so to switch it i press the switching button.

mishy

Hi,

Not long had my Cupra and it seems to make a funny noise when its idleing on warm up, leave it about 20 seconds or so and it suddenly goes. Any ideas what this could be?

Mine is doing the exact same, on a cold start(doesnt matter if the outside weather is humid/wet or hot/dry) it has a constant high pitch whine to it for 15-20seconds. Then literally shuts off with a weeze kinda noise thats fades off, then everything is fine.
It then will do it once again about 5mins down the road but this time its only for a short 5second.I dont blip the throttle but i always let it idle until that 20sec has passed.

How much is a secondary air/coolant pump?
Is it anything to worry about as the car has a warranty for another 2months ?

(its a cupra '04 facelifted with ~70k on the clock)

Thanks for your help in advance, I can record a sound clip if anyone is interested??

mishy

After looking around it seems to me I need to look at the secondary air pump... thanks for the tip off guys^

The secondary air pump is responsible for directing warmer air to CAT when engine is cold and typically run for 30sec - 120sec.
I havent confirmed its 'my' fault but following this excellent guide (edit see below) you could save yourself about £300 and have a silently starting car again!

There an excellent pic from Sargey (#17) in this thread(edit see below) that highlights how little the gap has to be once you've laid your hands on the SAP.

I'm going to give this a go in a week or so.

edit: cant post thread links to other sites but search for 'noisy cold start' by duchion9 on here and its a good discuss, post 14 is where the guide is to fix the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimCupra

Aug 21, 2008
Bucks
Mishy, dont know where you got your warranty from, but mine was from a SEAT dealer and it didnt cover the pump. Quoted £414 fitted.

mishy

Cheers for linking Greesha.

Thanks JimCupra ,£414 is hefty considering by the sonuds of it the SAC doesnt do anything all that important in terms of safety, performance reliabilitly ;)

adam cupra 20vt, that sounds like a nightmare of engine magement fault codes! interesting way to save wiegth tho?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
You can put a resistor in to get round the fault codes.

I bought a blanking plate and resistors to replace mine but whilst removing it I found the problam so just fixed it.......very easy to do.

mishy

greesha; [U said:
Link in his post[/U]

I need to get that sorted as well finally ...

I did mine this weekend as I was quoted about £60 for a breakers unit or £350ish from my local Stealer. After removing the sound proofing the high speend vacum cleaner sound was even worse than before...

It seemed a bit easier than the Golf guide Greesha link to. Basically I removed the hose and power, then unscrewed the three retaining bolts, with a little rotating and gentley pulling it into the rad fan blades it slid out.

4 out of the 6 rivets had died with gap between halves very obvious, a gentle prod of screw driver got them out with a 4mm drill bit making mince meat of the remaining two.
Six M4 x 45mm bolts+nuts replaced the rivets (with a lot of thread lock).

Started the car 12hrs later and the unit was buzzing nicely without the noise, then as previously mentioned it cut out after 30sec.

For £4 in Zinc bolts I recokon its a worth while job even if yours havent failed yet. Mine had no sign of corrosion on the rivets, just plain weak rivets.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimCupra

Aug 21, 2008
Bucks
Well I did mine (finally) last Friday, pretty simple job really. Although none of the rivets had actually gone, this seemed to be the cause of the problem from reading loads on here!
What a f****ng pain in the ass when I started it up on Sat morning, and the noise is still there! No have no idea what to do, other then get a second hand one.........:([:@]

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Well I did mine (finally) last Friday, pretty simple job really. Although none of the rivets had actually gone, this seemed to be the cause of the problem from reading loads on here!
What a f****ng pain in the ass when I started it up on Sat morning, and the noise is still there! No have no idea what to do, other then get a second hand one.........:([:@]

What noise is it? like a jet engine?

If so thats how they sound, I looked at a few before buying mine and they were all like it.

JimCupra

Aug 21, 2008
Bucks
Yep, exactly like a jet engine, once it shuts off and winds down, it really does sound like a jet shutting down. Thing is, is wasnt there when I first bought the car, started some time after. Had the cam belt done and the guys at the garage said the SAP was what it was. This cant be normal on all cupras.....

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I obviously can't hear how loud yours is but mine and the others I've seen are pretty loud when they cut in.

My mates got a Audi TT and his sounds pretty loud to.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.