Gearbox Oil change

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
I know there are few threads about gearbox oil already but I'm hoping to get some opinions and feedback from other members.

I don't have any issues with changing gears but when I had a look underneath the car this past weekend and noticed that there was some oil on the black plastic protector. I jacked the car up and removed the plastic cover and noticed that there was a fair amount of dry oil with dirt and grit topside so I'm guessing that the oil had been there for a while. I traced the oil leak to the gearbox drain plug which was slightly loose.

The problem is, I don't know how much gearbox oil has been lost to the leak so I'd like to replace the existing oil. The car has done 51k miles

I read that the gearbox oil spec is G 052 171 A2 and I found a link on eBay for Febi Bilstein gearbox oil: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371144916745

I've also read that the Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W Synthetic is also compatible:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161133108640

The question I have is: which gearbox oil should I use, Febi, Fuchs, or VW OEM?

Car is a 2007 TDI 2.0 16v Reference Sport 6 speed

TIA

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Fuchs is decent and recommended by Opie Oils. That's what I use.

You'll need 3 litre bottles but should only need 2.1-2.3 litres.

G31

May 18, 2014
Wales
I changed mine in my Golf one to the correct viscosity but Total branded. I struggled to get the car in gear, especially in winter. In the end I had to change it, bought it from VW by the litre but had to buy 3 litres due to needing 2.1 litres :censored:

The box was like new afterwards, I can't remember the price I paid but it was very expensive just for oil! To be honest I wouldn't have changed it at all if I hadn't lost the oil when I took the box off :banghead2

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone. I bought some Fuchs 75w synthetic, will hopefully get a chance to replace the oil this weekend

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Oil replaced, pretty straightforward job. The old oil was dark looked similar to used engine oil, I'm still not convinced about "filled for life" comment. Shifting feels the same as before, all smooth cold or hot.
Fantastic service from Opie Oils

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise