Going Hybrid

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
Ok guys well my turbo is a little broke :lol:

Untitled by GuerrillaPhotography, on Flickr

So I am looking at getting it refurbished and for £200 more I can get a Hybrid Stage 1
Link:
http://www.hybridturbos.com/hybrid-...ybrid-turbos/seat-leon-cupra-r-hybrid-turbos/

I’m not too sure on hybrid, I have read a lot of mixed reviews, will there be any issue running this turbo, I will be getting an APR map from awesome once it is installed.

Is it just the stage 3-4 hybrids that can cause problems with stage 1-2 being a safe option?

Advice and discussion please,
:D

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
Yea you could bent them on a standard car or a car with stage 1, its how you drive it,

has anyone gone hybrid and can offer some advice,
Anyone have this hybrid turbo??

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
nothing really to do with how you drive it. its all about turbo pressure delivery, k04's are naturally spikey anyway, a hybrid can make this worse.

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
its lottery when it comes to bendiing rods , its actually safier to run a big turbo and moderate boost make 300-320 bhp than maxing maxing a k04 hybrid which as said is very spikey by nature which cause alot of heat and very high cylinder pressures which bend rods, if you drive moderately then whats the point in getting a hybrid personally i'll stick with a standard k04 mate, but rods is something you need to look into if you want max k04s or hybrid

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
I know they can be spikey if not mapped correctly but im not after the stage 4 hybrid just maybe 1 or 2

if you can get a BT for £500 then i would but i dont have a clue what im looking for

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I think your forgetting all the mods needed for a proper hybrid setup, budget 3k+ otherwise you won't utilise the turbo to its potential, it's sort of an all or nothing approach IMO.

There is a massive amount of information on hybrids in the badger5 section.

Last edited:

Loony R

Quattro ist fur sissies
Nov 23, 2007
Rossendale
I think your forgetting all the mods needed for a proper hybrid setup, budget 3k+ otherwise you won't utilise the turbo to its potential, it's sort of an all or nothing approach IMO.

There is a massive amount of information on hybrids in the badger5 section.

Haha I keep tellin him this but he doesn't listen???????

Loony R

Quattro ist fur sissies
Nov 23, 2007
Rossendale
Just go 2nd hand or recon for now lad til youre ready to spend big monies? We'll go together and ask for discount hahahaha
BOOM

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
going to get a full refurbed unit with 12 month warrenty so the housing is covered too, i wouldnt want to get mine refurbed only for the housing to crack when i get it mapped :)

also i have a retention to pay on the turbo till i retain mine so if you want a KO4 no smoke but 2 bent compressor blades its yours for £100 :) i got quotes of £350 to refurb this

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
Not too sure, there is a little play in the shaft so I guess it just touched the sides and bent, a refurb would include new bearings so that would eliminate any play

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
Well I'm still driving round on that turbo at the moment and it's fine, it still boosts just makes as Whoooosh nois in high revs from the blades but drives fine, I think the blades touched the side, they are bent out not in

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
They haven't touched the sides, it takes ALOT of movemen for that and generally doesn't affect the blades but will machine the housing. Something has come though the filter hit the first blade, bending it out, and bounced back out then hit a 2nd time bending the last one and then slipping through

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise