Grinding noise when braking?

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Hey guys,

Had my winter check done by SEAT last week all came back fine apart from my rear tyre. But when braking, they make a grinding noise. It sounds like it's come from the back discs but could be front aswell. Any ideas? Sounds like after there has been rust on the discs from washing the car for example but all the time. No wear indicator on dashboard. If they are shot, how much are we talking to get replacements? Car has done 23000 miles.

Danny.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Hey guys,

Had my winter check done by SEAT last week all came back fine apart from my rear tyre. But when braking, they make a grinding noise. It sounds like it's come from the back discs but could be front aswell. Any ideas? Sounds like after there has been rust on the discs from washing the car for example but all the time. No wear indicator on dashboard. If they are shot, how much are we talking to get replacements? Car has done 23000 miles.

Danny.

Could also be a bit of gravel stuck.. You'll prob be able to see how much meat's left on the pads without taking the wheels off, you shouldnt need new pads at 23k.

Scooby250

Dec 25, 2009
Colchester Essex
I agree with haddock the likelihood is that some gravel is stuck between your discs and pads.
Especially if it has just started to happen with the weather conditions at the mo.

Cupra Jim

Nov 18, 2009
Coventry
Iwouldn't panic, get up the ligh powered pressure washer at the local garage and concentrate on using the force on the discs.

Thats defo grit of a small stone between the pad and the disc, if something was seriuosly up then u'd know there is nothing worse when you are either driving a car with shot pads as it sends the noise through the hole car as well as the vibrations. Usually when you tell someone that there pads have disintegrated they usually reply "oh i wondered why it was making a funny noise" lol.

Jim

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise