Hand painting caliper tips?

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
With all this spare time iv got, I’m thinking of painting my brake calipers. So just looking and making sure I’m getting the right things.

which paint would you recommend? Think I’m settled on hammerite but seen eBays high temp stuff should be okay too.

Other things iv seen I need are, wire brush, caliper cleaner, a model style paint brush for the smaller areas to paint and some tape.

I don’t have a car jack and all the YouTube videos show people using them. Is it necessary to have one or could I just remove on wheel at a time, paint the caliper and put the whee back on and move to the next?

anyway warnings before jumping a head.

cheers

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
How are you intending jacking the car? You mean with the one in the boot? I used hammerite perviously and had no issues. One thing I would say is look at how the caliper slides and make sure you don't just slap paint all over it. Cause it'll dry and your calliper won't move right. If your going to the effort of getting the wheel off... it might be worth getting a long 7mm allen key and taking the slide pins out and place the calliper on an axle stand to paint it and painting the carrier separately. You can then use a smaller brush and get all round it. So long as you don't disconnect the brake line, you won't have to bleed it aftwards.

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
How are you intending jacking the car? You mean with the one in the boot? I used hammerite perviously and had no issues. One thing I would say is look at how the caliper slides and make sure you don't just slap paint all over it. Cause it'll dry and your calliper won't move right. If your going to the effort of getting the wheel off... it might be worth getting a long 7mm allen key and taking the slide pins out and place the calliper on an axle stand to paint it and painting the carrier separately. You can then use a smaller brush and get all round it. So long as you don't disconnect the brake line, you won't have to bleed it aftwards.
Oh my days never realized my car same with a Jack hahaha, my previous Ibiza didn’t but hey ho nice one. Well I was going to paint whilst on the car and tape the areas around the pad so will only touch the caliper with a brush not spray them

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Paint them silver hammerite smooth and steeple the paint on not put on with brush strokes and will look OEM

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I wouldn't use the supplied jack as a 'workshop' jack. It's designed for emergencies and isn't very stable or trustworthy. The fact you don't have a jack suggests you don't have axle stands?

If you can afford calliper paint you can afford a decent jack. Get your priorities right ;0)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.