Have CUPRA got cold feet?

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
There's been a lot of information about the new VW Tiguan being launched next year so I thought it would be a good time to catch up with the latest news about the CUPRA Terramar. And there's....

....nothing.

Old articles on motoring websites suggest that the Terramar should arrive in 2024 alongside the Tavascan, but there's absolutely nothing on the CUPRA website. The Tavascan is there as a current model and the Raval and DarkRebel as concepts, but there's nothing about the Terramar. Does anybody know what's going on? The last news I've seen was at the end of last year when they 'introduced' the model to the people who would be building it Hungary. Have CUPRA now changed their mind and pulled the plug?

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Don't know but a lot of US Guys (and VW) are pulling back production

and then there is the EU and China maybe starting a trade war and they are already reducing the amount of raw materials that can be exported.

Finally the VW Cost cutting exercise is also behind schedule along with the cost of all the commodity hedges going south.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Don't know but a lot of US Guys (and VW) are pulling back production

and then there is the EU and China maybe starting a trade war and they are already reducing the amount of raw materials that can be exported.

Finally the VW Cost cutting exercise is also behind schedule along with the cost of all the commodity hedges going south.
We will all be in MG's if China gets it's way, mind you the MG4 Auto XPower sounds interesting at 3.7 to 60 and under £37K even if it's an EV.

Reactions: tracktoy

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
We will all be in MG's if China gets it's way, mind you the MG4 Auto XPower sounds interesting at 3.7 to 60 and under £37K even if it's an EV.
todays happy news item https://www.reuters.com/markets/eur...74e92892d973c33a861133c478de11259ddfe8050e13f

Elsewhere on Thursday, Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) joined other carmakers warning in recent days that electric vehicle demand was weakening. Some worry that high interest rates will deter even high-end shoppers splurging on a new car.

Underscoring the weakness in its home market, Europe's largest carmaker said its EV order intake had halved to 150,000 in Europe from 300,000 last year.

Orders were increasing slowly in the third quarter from the first half and should rise further in coming months, Chief Financial Officer Arno Antlitz said.

But total car demand in the region is still lower than before the COVID-19 pandemic, he said, and the company will reduce its capacity there.

Speaking to media after agreeing to buy a 21% stake in Chinese EV maker Leapmotor, Stellantis (STLAM.MI) CEO Carlos Tavares was blunt about the challenges - EVs in Europe are too pricey without government subsidies.

"If we look at the European market, Italy but also Germany and even France, when governments in Europe stop the subsidies, people stop buying EVs."

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
🤔 With a range of the power cord!

Belt Sander Racing anyone..? 😁

Tell

Staff member
I wouldn't worry about EV sales dropping off six more years to 2030, 11 years from 2035 when you'll have to buy an EV based on UK election in 2024. Nothing to worry about for PCP buyers. Plenty of cars to churn through before then. About 4 for ICE lovers. Be Iced out by then.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I wouldn't worry about EV sales dropping off six more years to 2030, 11 years from 2035 when you'll have to buy an EV based on UK election in 2024. Nothing to worry about for PCP buyers. Plenty of cars to churn through before then. About 4 for ICE lovers. Be Iced out by then.
You won't HAVE to buy an EV as only new cars will be not made. Many will just keep their old petrol car as they are not banning them, and the fact the Govt has extended the time new petrol cars are still being made shows this. The amount of EV sales has increased yes, but still the major amount of new cars sold where ICE in the last 12 months and I won't be buying an EV any time soon if ever.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Tell

Staff member
You won't HAVE to buy an EV as only new cars will be not made. Many will just keep their old petrol car as they are not banning them, and the fact the Govt has extended the time new petrol cars are still being made shows this. The amount of EV sales has increased yes, but still the major amount of new cars sold where ICE in the last 12 months and I won't be buying an EV any time soon if ever.
The angst is for where people like to buy a new car regularly. Reckon those are the moaners in all of this in the papers. The people that keep their cars or buy second hand not a big issue. Something to be said for letting the development of EVs settle down. 2030 I'm thinking for the purchase. Diesel car will be getting long in its tooth by then. SCR will last out for me with lower mileage. Probably end up with a Chinese built Cupra, doesn't worry me or an MG, next closest garage 😉. High vehicle for the backache.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Personally not going electric (only because the feel, smell and sound of my motor cant be replicated).

But I will say I still don't think electric (for lots of reasons) is the only answer, I still think the EU/US/UK Will backtrack on the EV Only solution.

Funny enough this was raised on hammonds workshop

Tell

Staff member
They could go for hydrogen converting that to electric like the Apollo fuel cell ;).

There are detractors of green hydrogen. If you make electricity cheap enough with green energy the overheads to make hydrogen aren't an issue. Wind and wave power.

You'd be driving with a hydrogen tank but still electric. Probably the next generation thing over batteries. Dr Diesel thing over Petrol but less polluting. We live in fun times.

To the original post I guess Cupra is getting out their first SUV and will then be onto the rest.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.