HID/Sidelights would fail MOT

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Just been told my car is going to fail its next MOT because of the HID's/sidelights i put in...:censored:

The HIDs pattern is 'everywhere' I could tell that and the guy said they couldn't even re-align them??

The LED's i put in are apparently purple, although they look pretty whitey/blue rather than purple..Link

So.. are there any thoughts on what I should do??

1. Change the HIDs to a brighter standard bulb?
2. Change sidelights to a more white colour 6000k rather than 6500k?

I don't want to get pulled...:shrug:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
If the pattern is that bad (usually is on reflectors) and the bulb is blue - why not just stick some normal bulbs in for mot

take you all of what 10mins tops ??

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
You won't get pulled for the lights but you will for no MOT

Just put the standard bulbs back in quick, the other reason they may not align is that the bit where you put the allen key in to change the headlight reflector angle may be broken, when its twisted to far it snaps off and can't be fixed.

Or get the Anti-glare HID bulbs like me :D

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
Just been told my car is going to fail its next MOT because of the HID's/sidelights i put in...:censored:

The HIDs pattern is 'everywhere' I could tell that and the guy said they couldn't even re-align them??

The LED's i put in are apparently purple, although they look pretty whitey/blue rather than purple..Link

So.. are there any thoughts on what I should do??

1. Change the HIDs to a brighter standard bulb?
2. Change sidelights to a more white colour 6000k rather than 6500k?

I don't want to get pulled...:shrug:

this is complete hors sh** i have 8000k hid and these side lights http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X4-LED-Xenon...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1689|293:1|294:50 and it been through two mot`s now no probs and my side lights look abit whitey/blue maby even light purple ish they look just like my hid`s

Last edited:

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
aight, well, i did do the mot with old bulbs in and passed wooo..

There was light scattering everywhere... I shall find myself a flat surface so i can take a pic of the pattern... i dont think the allen key thing is snapped or broken although i will have a check later on...

Would i get pulled for lights? and i dont really want to be blinding others anyway lol..

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
aight, well, i did do the mot with old bulbs in and passed wooo..

There was light scattering everywhere... I shall find myself a flat surface so i can take a pic of the pattern... i dont think the allen key thing is snapped or broken although i will have a check later on...

Would i get pulled for lights? and i dont really want to be blinding others anyway lol..

:hide: ive been pulled by the police a fair bit for various things coff! coff! but never has any of them said a single thing abot my hid`s and i do get flashed now and then

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
It all depends on the MOT tester as to if it pass's or not. Try an find a friendly tester an you'l be on a winner

spot on - don't forget the MOT test is not set in stone, testing stations are getting revisions to adapt and implement on a weekly basis

if the adjuster is screwed and the reflector is giving out a scattered light all over the shop of course it will fail, and and lights that appear blue or incorrectly coloured will fail also

saying that with a friendly/wise mot tester it's doubtful you will get many issues but be prepared for it

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
lol good, alright, well - to make sure it doesn't fail an MOT ill just stick in the old bulbs in the future..only takes 10minutes as someone else said.. I will try sort out the scattered light with the adjusters - and will stick up a few pics of what the pattern is like..

I got pulled over for driving with no lights on once...just forgot to put em on after making a petrol stop :D I guess they'd want these HIDs if anything, atleast people would be able to see me!

May 25, 2008
cambs
yeah they come with a 18 month warranty just got to send it back to hong kong lol! might work out cheaper to buy a new set !!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.