High Emission during MOT

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Well got my car in for MOT this afternoon. Well he check everything and it was fine expect the emission, ( He abit shocked).
He asked has my car been modified ? i go no, jus the basic.

Well according to computer my car emission where showing 0.47 and to pass i must be under 0.20, which is over double of mines!
ive got exhaust system and had a new catalyst put in. i had all the silence removed as well. New post lambda sesnor.

As i knew the person, he sorted me out!

Any of you had similer problem? How can i put the emisssion down? :confused:

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
well i got viper cross air filter! jus got report from diagnostic!
the new lambda sensor that i put in keep gettin a fault statin internal resistance too high! this is the post one (after the car). jus checked the connectors and pins. everythin looks fine. Ive cleared the fault so many times! (lost count now)
could this be causing the high emissions?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
This is the fault for lambda sensor:
17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor: B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - 35-00 - -

Well when the MoT person linked the machined to the car exhaust system and revveed it, the readings where 0.497 on the machine, he told me the car has to be 0.20 max to pass

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
oh yeh! The small little recipet
i gave it to exhaust place for analysis !
can the fault (above) im mention caused the high emission?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it's just that the emissions test 'tests' 3 things

lambda being one, CO being another & HC being the third

Fast idle 2500-3000rpm

CO no more than 0.3%

HC no more than 200 parts per million

Lambda between 0.97 and 1.03

Normal idle 450-1500rpm

CO no more than 0.5%

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
why the new exhaust / cat / lambda ?

only reason why i ask is if a car is running right then except obvious damage a cat is pretty sturdy - you can only really kill it with overfuelling/mixture

if the last cat/lambda was faulty and replaced you may still have the same problem that caused the fault in the first place

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
well! true! previous the cat had some damge on it and the post lambda sensor was totaly buggered so i had to replace it! Now when i fitted the new lambda sesnor the fault stating sensor malfunction has gone away. later in the week the problem with sesnor come back stating resistance too low. ive cleared it and it went away but comes back the next day

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
has the wiring and connections been checked, i had a lambda sensor issue for months turned out to be water in the sensor wiring housing.
PICT5199Medium.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.