High level brake light

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have an led failure in my high level brake light. As I have an extended warranty took it to the dealer and asked if it was covered with the warranty and after phoning Seat the service advisor said it was. She then said they would have to put it on their diagnostic machine and providing there was no cracks and water ingression which would have to be reported to Seat warranty should be okay. Now when I have looked at it later there is a crack where the water comes out for the rear wash.
Now I believe this is a well documented fault with this unit and my question is does anyone see a problem or has Seat recognised that this is a manufacturing fault?? and will replace with no quibble.
I did a bit of research to see how much it would cost to replace and believe it is in the region of £75/85.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
i argued about a year ago and got it replaced FOC
new one has been ok so i think they have realized the original was pants

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My light broke in the same place. It was replaced under warranty but I had to argue about it. Initially they said I must have broken it. I pointed out how unlikely that was and that the cracking was a known issue. That was a couple of years ago and, so far the new light is still in one piece.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Mine broke in the same place too... replacement part was c.£25 so just replaced as I couldn't be bothered arguing over yet another warranty claim; however, despite having the correct tools and manuals, the old one was a PITA to remove!

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
So put it into dealers yesterday and an hour and a half later they phoned me and said Seat had declined the replacement under warranty. I asked how much to replace and was quoted £95. I said to go ahead and replace it, then phoned Seat CS to ask why it had been declined mentioning that it seemed to be a known fault. The call handler then put me onto a technician who after explaining to him, said he would call the dealership.
An hour or so later the dealership called to say my car was ready so armed with my bank card went to pick car up. The service advisor handed me the keys and the invoice and said that it had been replaced under the extended warranty free of charge.

Must add I was very polite to both the call handler, technician and dealership and didn't go oh FFS!!!! like I felt like saying, so that may or may not have had a bearing on the outcome. In my opinion it is worth a phone call anyway to Seat CS as I found them easy to deal with.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
So put it into dealers yesterday and an hour and a half later they phoned me and said Seat had declined the replacement under warranty. I asked how much to replace and was quoted £95. I said to go ahead and replace it, then phoned Seat CS to ask why it had been declined mentioning that it seemed to be a known fault. The call handler then put me onto a technician who after explaining to him, said he would call the dealership.
An hour or so later the dealership called to say my car was ready so armed with my bank card went to pick car up. The service advisor handed me the keys and the invoice and said that it had been replaced under the extended warranty free of charge.

Must add I was very polite to both the call handler, technician and dealership and didn't go oh FFS!!!! like I felt like saying, so that may or may not have had a bearing on the outcome. In my opinion it is worth a phone call anyway to Seat CS as I found them easy to deal with.

£95 for a piece of plastic :roflmao:

good job it was FOC

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Just had my led brake light fail on the way home from the MOT test, called the dealer and going in tomorrow to have it checked, it should be under warranty they reckon, 16 days left on the extended warranty, I might just take them up on the renewal offer I had sent the other day now.
Checked the light, no cracks so maybe it’s just failed, natural causes?
Should this bring a light failure indication on the dash? 2015 1.4 FR Leon.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Just had my led brake light fail on the way home from the MOT test, called the dealer and going in tomorrow to have it checked, it should be under warranty they reckon, 16 days left on the extended warranty, I might just take them up on the renewal offer I had sent the other day now.
Checked the light, no cracks so maybe it’s just failed, natural causes?
Should this bring a light failure indication on the dash? 2015 1.4 FR Leon.

Mine failed last year and I had it done under extended warranty. Seat at first declined but after a phone call to customer services was done under warranty.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Visited dealer yesterday and they called today to say repair approved and part ordered so booked in next Wednesday, yay, gonna take up the offer of another year probably £165 if memory serves.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members