hillbill's mk4 1.8T slammed,smoothed,tuned,trimmed,bbs'd ( hybrid turbo )

hillbill

how hard were the R32 vents mate?

Also how much?

Again special looking MKiV

Not hard but time consuming if you make the looms and take your time to fit them right ie all soldered in and neat behind the dash..

Off the top of my head i think it was £120 for the vents and all the bits to make the loom

hillbill

Very tidy motor bud, shows you have put alot of work into this!

Big turbo would be nice may even have your old hybrid if you decide to sell :)

Lovely set of BBS's just cant beat them in my opinion.

Think i'm gonna stick with the hybrid for the time being, just need some genesis 415cc injectors and a custom remap, then i'll be done :)

A genuine VW shallow sump is on the cards too, when it goes in for a service

hillbill

I'll have some updates soon, just i've bought a Passat B5 1.8T running a hybrid too, as my daily, so funds are tight!

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Loved this car since you posted it on ed38 forum! Does your hybrid from CRT use the same turbo intake pipe as a standard ko3s, or did you need to buy a ko4 turbo intake pipe? Im sending mine off soon, to CRT, for the same treatment.

Seen for future mods, an upgraded diff is in the pipeline, had one on mine less than a couple of weeks ago, and even in the poor weather it makes a hell of a difference! Cant wait for a good dry day! Keep up the good work!

hillbill

Yeah it has a K03 forge silicone tip fitted, the only issue was the turbo to charge pipe fitment was a little out due to cr turbo's cutting the compressor housing outlet pipe when doing the hybrid work, then welding it back on... My turbo is an early cr turbo's hybrid that used a k04 compressor housing with k03 compressor outlet welded on though and don't think they have this issue now.. Don't hold me to this though, as i'm going on what i've read up on cr turbo's and i'm not 100% if they used k04 compressor housing on early versions or not, and if this was the reason mine didn't fit 100% because the hybrid was already on the car when i bought it, all i know is it didn't line up correct.

It's all sorted now so the silicone hose from the turbo compressor outlet to charge pipe fits now...

Yeah diff is on the list of stuff to do, what make diff did you go for?

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Thanks for the info :) think I'll need to have another chat with Mark from CRT before mine gets sent off just to double check with the inlet and compressor outlet etc can't wait! Got all the bits lined up ready including gaskets etc just can't afford to have it sent off and fitted etc at the mo :(

Went for a peloquin one as my car has an o2r box in and it's only peloquin that seem to do a direct fit diff for this box. With the quaife ones abit of machining needs to be carried out for an o2j one to fit, peloquin comes with all arp bolts and gaskets you need as a kit too, no faffing around. Jabbasport offered me a very good price on the diff and fitting so just went for it!

hillbill

Yeah i'll probs go for the peloquin diff when i have the gearbox refurbished/rebuilt and a new paddle clutch and single mass flywheel fitted at the same time : )

I'm gonna use turbo dynamics when i get a new hybrid on my passat, as their spec hybrid looks a little better than cr turbo's

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Yeh I had sachs clutch and lightened smf, flywheel makes a good difference inthe shorter gears, would recommend also!

What differences have you found in the two hybrid specs? Turbo dynamics seem a tad cheaper too. All confusing who to use haha

hillbill

On one of my old mk4 golf 1.8T's i had the jabbasport lightend smf and sach's clutch fitted, it had slightly better spool but the clutch felt to light for me... On another mk4 1.8T i owned i had the helex clutch and smf fitted, that was really heavy but just how i like it..

I got turbo dynamics to email me the spec and it looked better spec than what cr turbos did, but till i get the turbo dynamics hybrid done i won't know 100% what hybrid is better.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
On one of my old mk4 golf 1.8T's i had the jabbasport lightend smf and sach's clutch fitted, it had slightly better spool but the clutch felt to light for me... On another mk4 1.8T i owned i had the helex clutch and smf fitted, that was really heavy but just how i like it..

I got turbo dynamics to email me the spec and it looked better spec than what cr turbos did, but till i get the turbo dynamics hybrid done i won't know 100% what hybrid is better.

Yeh ive got lightened g60 flywheel and sachs oem clutch, so basically the same kit as the jabba one! Pedal is as light as standard, in hindsight i woulda got a heavier clutch just to know where youve spent the money haha

Might be worth me asking for the specs again and compare, thanks for the heads up! If not ill wait until yours is done and see what you think :p

stephenl2nst

awsome looking motor mate , whats the part number of the leon cupra r fuel pump as im looking to go down the same road with my motor ,,

cheers

hillbill

Are the oil catch tanks worth the money as ive been thinking of getting one but not sure if id benefit from one as all i do is road driving?

Yeah defo worth it with the amount of crap it will catch...

hillbill

Last thing to do before it goes for mot, is change the inner cv boot on the passenger drive shaft, as it was split and would of failed the mot...

I did look into buying a complete driveshaft but wv wanted £300 and that included giving my old one back as an exchange!! So i decided to just replace the cv boots at £30ish for the pair, while i'm doing this i got the driveshaft refreshed by getting it powder coated for £20, so a total rebuild cost of £50 rather than paying £300 for a recon driveshaft.

Here is some pics

Before

02JDriveshaft003.jpg

New genuine VW Inner and Outter CV boot kits

18Tcvboots002.jpg

After refurb

GOLF004.jpg

GOLF010.jpg

hillbill

While the car was up on axle stands for fitting the driveshaft, I fitted the VF Engineering pendulum mount

GOLF013.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.