How Do You Clean Your Mk2!?

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Alright Guys and Gals...

I've been looking in the car detailing section of the website and found some useful info and products I could use...

But I was wondering, how do you people clean and maintain your Mk2's and what products do you lot use to achieve the best results, what would you recommend in your opinions:
i.e. getting rid of swirls marks, stone chips, the best way to restore the colour, get the best shine, which wheel cleaning products do you use, the best wax etc.

Cheers :D

GtiBoy

DubbedOut Owner
May 5, 2009
Botswana
www.dubbedoutclub.tk
Best and easyest way to do it mate would be pay someone to get it detailed then mantain it yourself. As to get rid of swirl marks etc your gonna need a mop and a whole load of expensive detailing products. Best products ive found is Smartwax, Meguairs, Chemical Guys. Best thing i use for my wheels is Rimwax by Smartwax and it smells lovely to.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
gtiboy said it right

i use autoglym stuff, always have, i love it, i wanna get some clay to top it all off, but skint at the moment
(i use AG Super Resin, then AG Ultra Deep Shine, then finish off with some AG Extra Gloss Shine, might get some carnauba for the end coat, but again skint lol)

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
gtiboy said it right

i use autoglym stuff, always have, i love it, i wanna get some clay to top it all off, but skint at the moment
(i use AG Super Resin, then AG Ultra Deep Shine, then finish off with some AG Extra Gloss Shine, might get some carnauba for the end coat, but again skint lol)

I am the same, I use mainly Autoglym products. I use the Autoglym High Definition Wax aswell. Use the clean wheels, wheel seal etc.

Use some Rain-X on the windows aswell. Although I have started using some Pearl Car Care products that Im pretty impressed with.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Thanks for the replys,

What shampoos etc do you use? is it worth getting a jet wash for it?
Also what's the best materials to use to apply wax, polish etc, is it worth getting an electric buffer?

At the moment I've been using carplan stuff (shampoo, wheel cleaner, wax), which is pretty good, but I've not really had any experience of using other products.... hence asking.....

I've seen a thread of one of the sites sponsors, Rubbish boys i think and how they was cars,
comes out with great results but a bit confusing when they're using about 20 different products to wash one car lol

I've heard the autoglym does a good job, though I've only used the back to black stuff and it works like a dream...
I've heard of people using clay, what is it for?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Thanks for the replys,

What shampoos etc do you use? is it worth getting a jet wash for it?
Also what's the best materials to use to apply wax, polish etc, is it worth getting an electric buffer?

At the moment I've been using carplan stuff (shampoo, wheel cleaner, wax), which is pretty good, but I've not really had any experience of using other products.... hence asking.....

I've seen a thread of one of the sites sponsors, Rubbish boys i think and how they was cars,
comes out with great results but a bit confusing when they're using about 20 different products to wash one car lol

I've heard the autoglym does a good job, though I've only used the back to black stuff and it works like a dream...
I've heard of people using clay, what is it for?

I use the autoglym because it is fairly quick to use and gives you good results.

You use a clay bar for getting rid of sap, swirl marks (??) from the paint, it is usually used with some sort of lubrication. I used turtlewax liquid clay bar and it had pretty good results and was simple to use.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I've got some white T-cut swirl remover and polish which is slowly removing my swirls and bringing the paint up, its had two goings over so far i reckon a couple more and it'll be there, cost £10 they do ones for all colours then as above going to AG resin polish and then get some Farecla wax top to finnish it off.

Best thing i can say is don't go out and spend £40 on product and expect it to look mint after one going over if the paints a bit worse for wear, it'll be a few goings over before its good. Only a man and a propper polisher will get it spot on first time but this will be a whole day job and about £300!!

I would invest in a pressure washer, capable ones are £30 and a decent karcher that can spray foam etc is only about £60 these days. Once you've got one get all the arch liners off and blast them out thoroughly to prevent rust, then wax oyl or hammerit to protect the underside.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
I use the autoglym because it is fairly quick to use and gives you good results.

You use a clay bar for getting rid of sap, swirl marks (??) from the paint, it is usually used with some sort of lubrication. I used turtlewax liquid clay bar and it had pretty good results and was simple to use.

cheers, I take it you can pick it up in places like halfords?

I've got some white T-cut swirl remover and polish which is slowly removing my swirls and bringing the paint up, its had two goings over so far i reckon a couple more and it'll be there, cost £10 they do ones for all colours then as above going to AG resin polish and then get some Farecla wax top to finnish it off.

Best thing i can say is don't go out and spend £40 on product and expect it to look mint after one going over if the paints a bit worse for wear, it'll be a few goings over before its good. Only a man and a propper polisher will get it spot on first time but this will be a whole day job and about £300!!

I would invest in a pressure washer, capable ones are £30 and a decent karcher that can spray foam etc is only about £60 these days. Once you've got one get all the arch liners off and blast them out thoroughly to prevent rust, then wax oyl or hammerit to protect the underside.

thanks, yeah I know that it wont be perfect first time round...it'll take a few goes, my paint isn't to bad at the moment, when its washed and waxed it looks really good, its just the swirl marks, tiny scratched etc that do my head in lol...
I've heard various things about T-cut, some people say its really good but others say its rubbish, too abrasive etc :S.....

I'll most probably buy a jet wash then, been meaning to get one for a while but could never make a choice lol...

this summer, getting my car paint to look showroom quality is my main objective :p

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
I am the same, I use mainly Autoglym products. I use the Autoglym High Definition Wax aswell. Use the clean wheels, wheel seal etc.

Use some Rain-X on the windows aswell. Although I have started using some Pearl Car Care products that Im pretty impressed with.

i was looking a the HD wax, looks decent!

yeah my mate/cousins use rain-x, its some amazing stuff, don't need windscreen wipers as the water just falls off the windows!

yeah clay gets rid of the microdirt that normally is bonded to the paint (like if you run your hand, it looks smooth, but still has a grainy texture)

there is one where the lubricant is just water, i think it was a megquires one? not too sure!

i love cleaning my car, it makes me appreciate it more!

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
i was looking a the HD wax, looks decent!

yeah my mate/cousins use rain-x, its some amazing stuff, don't need windscreen wipers as the water just falls off the windows!

yeah clay gets rid of the microdirt that normally is bonded to the paint (like if you run your hand, it looks smooth, but still has a grainy texture)

there is one where the lubricant is just water, i think it was a megquires one? not too sure!

i love cleaning my car, it makes me appreciate it more!

I'll have a look at getting some of that Rain X window cleaner and clay, atm I've been using standard household window cleaner :p....work pretty well lol

I love washing my car aswell, my family aren't so keen lol, whenever i say im washing the car they say again!? lol

GtiBoy

DubbedOut Owner
May 5, 2009
Botswana
www.dubbedoutclub.tk
I wash my car like 4 times a week and all the neighbours are like god u will wash the paintoff that. Ive heard it som many times now i have to force a smile lol.

If you are thinking of gettin an electric buffer fink twice if its the one i fink u mean as there pants. You need a mop/grinder you get them from like sealey there £80 and have different speeds and attachments. But do be careful as you can burn the paintwork.

Its al trail and error to be fair. ive used so many different products. Some i will never get to use like swissvax christal rock at £499 a tub :lol:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
haha my mom says "if you spend a quarter of the time on your future wife, she'll be a lucky woman" lmao

ps. NEVER use washing up liquid (fairy etc) as it is bad for the bodywork, its something due to sodium chloride (which is helps degreasing) which will deteriorate your paint work, and the microsalts might leave microscratches which won't be seen by the eye, but over time will get bad!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
I wash my car like 4 times a week and all the neighbours are like god u will wash the paintoff that. Ive heard it som many times now i have to force a smile lol.

If you are thinking of gettin an electric buffer fink twice if its the one i fink u mean as there pants. You need a mop/grinder you get them from like sealey there £80 and have different speeds and attachments. But do be careful as you can burn the paintwork.

Its al trail and error to be fair. ive used so many different products. Some i will never get to use like swissvax christal rock at £499 a tub :lol:

haha my mates dads got that swissvax (some minted dude) its amazing when he washes his F430!

and your right, my mate messed up his paintwork on his car using a electric buffer, you need to know how to use it proper!

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham

4 times a week!? thats mental :p....i thought 2 was alot lol.....
well ive seen a few cheap ones around, like a hand polisher from halfords for 20, but id rather spend money and get something worth while.....

what is swissvax christal rock, you could get another mk2 to for that!! what does it do thats so special, if i buy it i'd expect it to make my car go faster or something lol

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Two bucket method to wash the car, using Meguairs Gold Class shampoo. One bucket filled with the shampoo and the either with plain water. Using the washing mitt in the shampoo bucket, wipe the car, raise in plain water bucket and repreat! :)

Then polish the car with Auto Glym Polish (red label bottle) and then Meguairs Gold Class Wax, the alloys I do the same and if I'm bored and haven't had enough by then wash and polish my brembos lol.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
thanks mate, I do the 2 bucket method but use a sponge, are washing mits worth it?

my wheels are a nightmare to clean, damn multispokes!! lol

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Sorry it's not a mit I'm using, I got microfibre sponge from tesco... does the job nicely!

You think mutli spokes are bad, try washing the rims on my passat they have a lil lip on each spoke and it's a right pain till I got a Meguairs wheel face brush!

The idea of the two bucket method is that you keep the soapy water clean so towards the end you not washing your car with dirty water!

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
i might buy a microfibre thing from tesco ;)

i just use a normal soft brush, which can get annoying when the dirt sprays in my face as im scrubbing away lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.