How much Has car insurance gone up

Carlos76

Aug 25, 2023
Just had a quote for a 2017 Leon cupra on compare the market £650 fully comp only do around 5k miles in a year 20 years been driving only one claim for windscreen and slight damage to paint work when some scrout damaged a few cars on the road side but now have drive with cctv .I have no claims protected with 20yrs ncb has the prices gone that high?

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Insurance has gone up a lot although I have to say I have a highly modified and insure with Adrian Flux and even after a windscreen claim my insurance stayed the same as last year. But across the web/social media people are complaining about rising cost's.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Prices have rocketed, ONS says 43% over the last twelves months! I was paying about £600 last year gone up to £850 cheapest (without a black box). Absolute joke
Edit: just seen this is in the AF forum, didn’t get a quote from them so don’t know if they would have been cheaper or not.

Last edited:

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you haven't done so already.
Regards,
Dan.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi Carlos.

Did you manage to get an insurance quote form ourselves? If you did how did we do?

Regards,

Dan.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Just had a quote for a 2017 Leon cupra on compare the market £650 fully comp only do around 5k miles in a year 20 years been driving only one claim for windscreen and slight damage to paint work when some scrout damaged a few cars on the road side but now have drive with cctv .I have no claims protected with 20yrs ncb has the prices gone that high?
I just renewed mine .... my renewal quote went from 650 to over 900 with my existing provider. Did a meerkat on it, and got it for 300 elsewhere :D

• Wow
Reactions: Jay5959
Oct 7, 2023
Just bought a Leon FR and surprised about how much insurance prices have sky rocketed.

Had a 2.0 Scirocco insured through AF, asked them to change my car and they wanted £1800 on top, or I could cancel my existing policy and take out a new one for £900.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Just bought a Leon FR and surprised about how much insurance prices have sky rocketed.

Had a 2.0 Scirocco insured through AF, asked them to change my car and they wanted £1800 on top, or I could cancel my existing policy and take out a new one for £900.
Hi.
if you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look at your details to see if there is anything more we can do.
Regards,
Dan.

Oct 7, 2023
Hi.
if you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look at your details to see if there is anything more we can do.
Regards,
Dan.
Sorry Dan but AF have lost a customer.
To want to charge me 300% extra when im 6 months into a policy for a car that is 10 insurance groups lower, I'm afraid I cannot stomach that, but to then blame it on the underwriters and then try to sell me another policy (which AF get commission on) for 50% more than my current policy and then want to charge me a cancellation fee is daylight robbery.

Thanks for the offer though.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Sorry Dan but AF have lost a customer.
To want to charge me 300% extra when im 6 months into a policy for a car that is 10 insurance groups lower, I'm afraid I cannot stomach that, but to then blame it on the underwriters and then try to sell me another policy (which AF get commission on) for 50% more than my current policy and then want to charge me a cancellation fee is daylight robbery.

Thanks for the offer though.
Ok fair enough.
Regards,
Dan.

BigG.S-O-T

May 17, 2015
Anybody got any other companies to try please? Been with AF for years now and always been there or there about on price a few times a little more expensive but always stuck with them, however this re-newal they have gone crazy expensive! Last year I paid £629 they have quoted me £1200 for my renewal. Any different companies anybody is using currently and they aren't charging a silly amount please tell

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Anybody got any other companies to try please? Been with AF for years now and always been there or there about on price a few times a little more expensive but always stuck with them, however this re-newal they have gone crazy expensive! Last year I paid £629 they have quoted me £1200 for my renewal. Any different companies anybody is using currently and they aren't charging a silly amount please tell
Try one of the comparison sites to see if £1,200 or thereabouts is the norm for you and your car’s make / model this year. You could also try some of the companies who aren’t on comparisons sites (e.g. Direct Line, Aviva, NFU Mutual, Zurich). It might also be worth asking Adrian Flux if there’s any scope to lower the premium they’ve quoted to retain your business, bearing in mind you’ve been a loyal AF customer for many years - if you don’t ask, you don’t get. On those occasions where I’ve informed my existing insurance company at renewal that I can get cheaper comparable cover with one of their competitors, they’ve reduced their quoted premium.

If you find that £1,200 is pretty representative of what you can expect to pay this year, you could also review the cover under your current policy, as there may be changes you can make to reduce the price - e.g.;
  • Consider increasing the excess under your policy which should reduce the premium you’ve been quoted.
  • Review the declared estimated annual mileage under your policy; if it’s higher than the mileage you currently drive and you can legitimately reduce it to reflect your actual annual mileage, then consider doing so. However, never be dishonest and give an unrealistically low mileage figure as that would be considered to be insurance fraud.
  • Review any add-ones under the policy - e.g. breakdown cover, courtesy car cover, legal expenses etc. If there are any add-ons that you don’t need (if, for example you have separate breakdown cover elsewhere), then consider deleting them.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
I'm more than happy to take a look at our invited renewals to see if there is any way we can get anything better.
Please just drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
anyone I know with a modern land rover or electric car has just had their pants pulled down for any renewal over last couple of months. All premiums have gone up but they are ALL 2-3x more than last year & the ones inside m25 are now 5x more

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
anyone I know with a modern land rover or electric car has just had their pants pulled down for any renewal over last couple of months. All premiums have gone up but they are ALL 2-3x more than last year & the ones inside m25 are now 5x more
Interesting article on the Fleet News website a few months ago on electric car accident damage repair costs - link below;

Factors such as availability - or more likely, lack of availability - of parts, longer repair times (than for equivalent ICE vehicles), and greater likelihood of an EV being declared uneconomic to repair and written off because of high repair costs (especially if the battery is damaged and needs replacing) will have all impacted EV insurance premiums.

I think that much of the expensive tech in modern cars will also be impacting accident repair costs in general, and will be a major factor in the current trend of what appears to be excessive premium increases for many of us.

Reactions: Cupra306Form

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Had my renewal this week with Adrian Flux, went from £380 to 494. Bit of a jump but the second cheapest I could find with all modifications declared was around £850, plus the Flex Drive option is nice to have.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
All the old fashion issues still apply - where you live, what you do for a living, What car you have (thus stats proving you are more at risk of accident) but again what I have seen in the insurance press as @SRGTD said is parts are more expensive and in short supply, Car Thefts have increased and in the EV Area there are a lot of cars being written off due to cost of repair (and that is only going to get worse if the industry goes down the Tesla route of making as much as possible in one pressing). There is a very old video of a Tesla owner breaking a bit of plastic on the front of the battery pack (it was part of the cooling system) and they quoted him 16k to repair (or should i say replace). Not tried it but maybe you get a cheaper quote if you don't have a loan car.

Last year my insurance was the same as the year before with Adrian Flux but I do expect it to increase next year but I just look at the fact a small crash on the front of my car the cost would run into thousands and I only pay 350. I actually think these days heavily modified cars are getting cheaper to insure as they know you have spent a lot of money so you will do your best to look after it.

My Mrs Civic went from 350 to 400 did a search and got it back down to 370 but I live in a very rural area

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members