How To: Retrofit a heated steering wheel to a Mk3 Leon

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
As we have still winter here in Latvia, and I can't get correct module fast enough but got module form Kodiaq (5Q0953569B) laying around, I decided to use it. So Wiring pinout was same as needed, but unfortunately it not fit to the stalks. I was lucky to get very cheap stalks from Tiguan (5Q0953502AJ) that fits these module. I was need to cut one place to fit it on steering column, and wuola, I got heated steering wheel again. :sneaky:
Nice job! I was wondering whether those Skoda modules will fit in Leon. Good to know that there are some alternatives for those rare 5Q0953549B or 5Q0953549D modules.

Just one thing is when turn ignition on, it drops fault about heated steering wheel in VC, but immediately disappears. Heating works ok, and all 3 heating levels are working ok (instead aliexpress module have only 1 - max heat). In OBD11 error it is like something about temperature sensor, but in live data it shows correct temperature. So for now I leave like it is, but later when some correct original module will be available for reasonable value I will get one for sure.
I have found some information in the polish form about this fault (Google Translated):
Unfortunately, these 5Q0953569B drivers have this. Valeo *****, and even new cars that left the showroom did that. The only solution is its successor 5Q0953569C or replacement with a controller from Kostal, which in turn involves replacing the mounting and switch assembly.
I belive the "Kostal" ones are 5Q0953549B or 5Q0953549D

Reactions: Slavixs
Feb 13, 2024
Relax! There is a lot to check and change in order to make it work, especially if you have installed used parts. My guess is that you have coding for accessories that your car is not equipped with. That's why cruise control is not working and you have those warnings on the dashboard.

First of all what kind of cruise control do you have, normal or ACC? Look in Module 19 (Gateway) -> Adaptations -> Multi Function Steering Wheel Control Module - Version and change it accordingly to you equipment (GRA or CCS for standard cruise control, ACC for, well... ACC)

Next you should check long coding of Module 16. For me worked value 0C 10 for DSG and 0C 20 for manual gearbox.

After each change turn ignition off, remove key and turn ignition on again in order to let modules adapt to itself. If this does not help then please provide autoscan and we will try other things.
Sooooooo ! I finally bought it try your suggestions! And it works ! No fault and regulator now work perfect ! BUT ! HEATED STEERING WHEEL DOESN'T SHOW UP 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲

Feb 13, 2024
I coded it (somehow my vcds have experimental features and i can enable heated steering wheel) but it doesn't activate or is visible on screen !
1000030861.jpg

Slavixs

Jan 24, 2023
Nice job! I was wondering whether those Skoda modules will fit in Leon. Good to know that there are some alternatives for those rare 5Q0953549B or 5Q0953549D modules.

I have found some information in the polish form about this fault (Google Translated):

I belive the "Kostal" ones are 5Q0953549B or 5Q0953549D

So I fixed problem with Kodiaq 5Q0953569B module about temperature sensor... It was software issue. So need to update software 0245 to 0265... This update file its not so easy to find but somehow luckily I managed it. Now everything works as it should.
p.s. This update also works for Octavias and Tiguans and etc., who have same error with this module.

• Love
Reactions: grabania
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.