Ignition electrical issues - help!

Dec 6, 2023
hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and would be able to point me in the right direction of what could be the issue - 2012 seat ibiza fr.

so a couple of months ago, my car didn't turn off when the keys were removed. engine running, radio running, full electrical power continuing. the car stopped and switched off after it was stalled. i took it to the garage, who put in a new ignition switch. all was well for two months, then the issue occured again - this time, the engine turned off, but ignition restarted with all electrics back on as though i had the key in the ignition position. this time, it would not turn off with stalling, so i took it back to the garage. they put in another new ignition switch in the hopes that i just had bad luck and was given a faulty one, but a month down the line, the issue has arose once again, and just wouldn't turn off no matter how many times i tried, so i had to disconnect the battery. both times since the initial fault, i've noticed that the engine will eventually keep running with the key out if it's started continuously in the hopes of turning the whole thing off.

since this has started, ive also noticed that the windows will no longer go down (have only just realised this due to the cold weather so i'm not sure if this started when the issue initially arose), and the high beam flash doesn't work - however the permanent high beam switch works just fine, so it's not dead bulbs. there could be more electrical issues that i haven't noticed since i haven't used them, but nothing that affects how the car drives. when it's actually on and driving the car is absolutely mint with no faults - it just won't turn off!

there are no lights on the dash when the engine is running, and like i said it all runs perfectly when it's meant to, so there's no codes stored to point me in the right direction. every time it's been to the garage, it refuses to perform it's trick, so an actual professional hasn't seen it doing this to work off of. i've done my own research to try and find what to test, but nothing fits all of the symptoms. i don't have any water ingress, the battery doesn't go flat when not in use, so i doubt it's alternator related, and the ignition relay tends to cause the car to not turn on, not off.

i've booked into another garage for them to have a look since i've moved away from the original garage, and the receptionist tried to suggest another ignition switch since they weren't the ones who fitted the other two, and wouldn't really listen when i said it's a 99% not to be the switch. any pointers would be really helpful.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.