Indicator clicks constantly!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
You know that noise you get when you indicate, well I'm getting that 100% of the time!

The indicators still function fine when being used, click at normal speed and work perfectly. However, when the stalk is not being touched, the clicking doubles in speed and is constant. No lights come on outside the car, just the clicking.

I tried taking the fuse out for the indicators and this makes it go away, however no indicators. I can't even unplug the hazard switch relay where the noise comes from as without it connected the indicators don't function.

So, can I do anything or is the dealer going to charge me a fortune to remove the steering wheel and clean it out? Why do these things always happen just as you're about to sell and move on...gah.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Got even worsetoday - booked in for tomorrow at the dealer so I'll update date this post for reference then should anyone else get this!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Dealer reckons it is the hazard switch/unit itself - however they didn't have one so now I have to wait until Tuesday!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Aye. None of the above.

It got worse today as well, after driving to the white rose in leeds for lunch was about to get out of the car and noticed the indicator was flashing (right one). Then smoke started rising from behind the steering wheel - only way to stop it was to remove the fuse.

I have no idea why the dealer thinks it is the harzard switch as it doesn't ****ing click when the fuse for the indicators is removed.

I nearly removed the steering wheel tonight to take a look but as they have it tomorrow I'll let them do it - just with a mild pointer to ignore the sodding hazard switch!

Dring back on the M62 to Hull was fun without ANY indicators :(

LisaK

Have you got an update on this as my Ibiza is doing this at the moment and I'm either going to end up deaf (Im turning my music up LOUD so I cant hear the ticking) or seriously insane if I dont get it sorted!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I've seen many a Clio do this, and it turned out to be the hazard switch too!

Common fault on all cars really!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I got it sorted in a round about way. I traded the car in for a LCR at the dealership that was trying to fix it.

The problem was 100% the indicator stalk and NOT the hazard switch. My advice is to not let the dealer fob you off with that first - take it to them straight away though as it will only get worse to the point at which it'll either start smoking and you'll have to take the fush out or they won't work at all.

The stalk is a cheap part but they'll have to order it in. Good luck with it!

LisaK

Well, I changed the hazard switch anyway and I wish I hadnt now lol! I thought it'd be a quick, take the front of the stereo unit off and just plug the badboy in, but noooo, the wire was too short so I ended up having to take out the whole of the stereo AND the glovebox just to plug in the new switch. As I suspected ... it didnt cure the problem but I thought I'd give it a go anyway!

I've booked it in to the stealership for Weds to have the stalk changed and I've told them thats all I want them do. How much did the whole repair cost in total?

John3:16&aCupra

More News?

Anyone got any news on resolution? My 2001 Ibiza has been like this for about 8 months!!! Had a few smokin' steering wheel experiences but then it cools off a bit when I put the fuse back in. It's even stoped completely for a few days a couple of times but keeps comin' back.

I had a autoleccy tell me he thinks it's the control unit? Sounded worse than the clickin' so keep the stereo loud!

Would be grateful for any news...:help:

Greg Kirby

I had the same problem, was a broken contact in the indicator stalk collar, the bit behind the steering wheel. Caused the relay to click constantly. SEAT dealership sold me a new unit -comes as an assembly with top column casting and bearing but you can separate the two sections and only fit the instrument stalks. Saving the top bearing for when yours eventually wears and starts knocking (which it will)!
Part cost about £35, which isn't bad from a dealership. Perfectly possible to DIY fit. Just take care to disconnect the airbag in the correct sequence (there's a good guide on VW Vortex forum).
Allow about an hour for the job.
If you leave it, then I'm sure the relay will eventually fail.
Good luck!

John3:16&aCupra

Many thanks Greg, will give the indicator stalk collar a go. Then I'll only have the temp gauge warning, dodgy aircon/CC, engine management light, rear brakes and a service to worry about! :cry:

Anyone know why I still wouldn't give this thing up??? :think:

If you had part number and/or link for that VW Vortex page on airbag I'd be chuffed, but if not I'm thankful all the same...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.