indicators have stopped working completely

robbodred

Hi just wondering if anyone could help, my window wipers and indicators have stopped working completely. The indicators have been dodgy for a while (still ticking after ive turned them off) and the wipers decided to stop working today but then started again, then stopped and now wont work at all along with the indicators. Any ideas?

robbodred

Indicators either the stalk or the relay, which is attached to the button on the dash.

Wipers, possibly the motor?

Cheers dude, its weird that they would both go at the same time though?

so waht would i need to replace if its the stalk?

how do i get to the wiper motor?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Obviously check the fuse board at the end of the dash and see if the fuses are intact.
There are also some under the lower dash panel, not sure what they are for though.

Just get a new stalk and replace it,if it is that wiper motor is a wipes off job and then under the scuttle panel.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Does sound odd that the wipers have died too, but the indicator problem is more commonly due to the hazzard relay/switch - I think I have one of these somewhere if you want to try it

While we're on relays, it might be worth checking the wiper relay (assuming you have the variable intermittency tab on the top of the stalk)

I'm pretty sure they should still wipe on full speed even if the relay's goosed - so that would be an easy test

can someone confirm this for me/us?

robbodred

Does sound odd that the wipers have died too, but the indicator problem is more commonly due to the hazzard relay/switch - I think I have one of these somewhere if you want to try it

While we're on relays, it might be worth checking the wiper relay (assuming you have the variable intermittency tab on the top of the stalk)

I'm pretty sure they should still wipe on full speed even if the relay's goosed - so that would be an easy test

can someone confirm this for me/us?

Well they dont wipe on full speed either, also the rear one has stopped working, im guessing its the motor?

yes please can i have the indicator relay? what do you want for it?

robbodred

depending were you are if it is wiper motor i have a spare, but sounds like the stalk has failed

Yeh ill take that tif you will ing to post and how much do u want for it? im in stafford so youre abit too far away to collect

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
If the rear wiper's stopped too, it's more likely to be the stalk

Putting a reminder in my phone now to look for the relay when I get in - if I can't find it, I'll grab the one out of the Toledo (not like it's going anywhere anytime soon) and see how much you have to dismantle to get the stalk off... should just be steering wheel off and a couple of screws I would have thought

robbodred

If the rear wiper's stopped too, it's more likely to be the stalk

Putting a reminder in my phone now to look for the relay when I get in - if I can't find it, I'll grab the one out of the Toledo (not like it's going anywhere anytime soon) and see how much you have to dismantle to get the stalk off... should just be steering wheel off and a couple of screws I would have thought

cheers dude, youre a star!:D

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Well no sign of the spare one (I wonder if I was thinking of one that came with a tow-bar wiring kit I had)

...but I can get the one out of the Toledo. PM me your address and I'll post it out.

If it doesn't fix the problem, just post it me back. If they start working again, just send me a tenner to cover a replacement off eBay ;)

I also found this on eBay which might be useful -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....name=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Last edited:

robbodred

hi dude, im no sure it is the relay as today i started to move the steering wheel around and both the wipers and the indicators started working. could this be a dodgy wire somewhere?

odd-head

new to the dub scene
Feb 27, 2010
calne, wiltshire
My car has started the same thing took it to the garage and they tried the hazard relay but to no luck as the car is still doing it!
Could this be the stalk at fault??????

rourkek4

Haya mate, i had this with my leon, turned out to be the steering column control card, cost me 175 euro plus fitting and it was gone. im new to this but if you search my name you will see my thres with the symptoms on it. sounds the exact same though.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members