Infotainment system/Updating Query?

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
Hi guys.

Ever since buying my brand new Ibiza 110 Xcellence Lux last September I've had a constant notification on the top right hand side of the infotainment screen. But ever time I've scrolled down the page there Is no message of any kind. All It ever says Is :

"Data connection unavailable please change privacy settings". And then just like magic the red notification seems to disappear for the rest of the journey but then reappears when the car Is next started.

So this morning I changed the privacy settings from Maximum to Use my location, and to my surprise a notification appeared on the screen saying that an update was available and whether I wanted to download It. So I downloaded the update and after a few seconds I got the "update complete" message.

But I was always led to believe that to download any available updates remotely from the car that you needed to download and install the SEAT CONNECT App. But I still haven't, due to the fact that I've heard so many negative things about It, especially from all the online reviews.

So my question Is please guys, do you think that this update that I've just carried out actually went through or will I definitely need to download and Install the SEAT CONNECT App on my phone to guarantee any further future updates?

Cheers 🤔

Screenshot_2024-01-28-12-29-25-94_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
IMG_20240128_123006.jpg

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I could put my toe in the water with this. Yours is a mib3 which were fitted from 2020. I have been known to lecture people on not going maximum privacy. During the time the SOS in the roof would go off, it was put about that you should hide yourself. Thought that was rather dumb.

The SOS issue was a telematics fault where they need to change the telematics box and firmware effected nearly all Vag cars. Seat were slow to sort it out. You still read of reported SOS issues these will be old stock yet to have the telematics box changed.

Leon 4 people are experts on the 4g side of the car. The Seat Connect app is different is to the updates but they probably mix them up

So yes you definitely have to stop hiding yourself if you want car firmware updates. That's how it happened. That's probably why I kept telling people not to go "dark" since you wouldn't get the updates. Just something that some people put around to fix the SOS error.

The app itself allows you to control some functions and look at some data. There is a pricing structure once your initial free period is over.

Dig in here:

Basically you got your update on the initial one year free period irrespective downloading the app. Skoda has a different bundling system on costs and what you get, unless Seat hides theirs.

If your SOS starts popping if you got one then as said your telematics box needs changing. It was hocus-pocus of doing dark to fix issues. Clearly the system knew where you were since it was offering an update.

A 4g connection was being made between the car and the VAG servers. The Smartphone app connects you via your own 4g phone link to VAG servers where you can review and control functions of the car. There is also a wifi function in the car.

Some people come out of contract on connect service at the of the period then it's much like mib2 and car firmware of old dealers will do updates. The maps you can update yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: motormadmarc

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
I could put my toe in the water with this. Yours is a mib3 which were fitted from 2020. I have been known to lecture people on not going maximum privacy. During the time the SOS in the roof would go off, it was put about that you should hide yourself. Thought that was rather dumb.

The SOS issue was a telematics fault where they need to change the telematics box and firmware effected nearly all Vag cars. Seat were slow to sort it out. You still read of reported SOS issues these will be old stock yet to have the telematics box changed.

Leon 4 people are experts on the 4g side of the car. The Seat Connect app is different is to the updates but they probably mix them up

So yes you definitely have to stop hiding yourself if you want car firmware updates. That's how it happened. That's probably why I kept telling people not to go "dark" since you wouldn't get the updates. Just something that some people put around to fix the SOS error.

The app itself allows you to control some functions and look at some data. There is a pricing structure once your initial free period is over.

Dig in here:

Basically you got your update on the initial one year free period irrespective downloading the app. Skoda has a different bundling system on costs and what you get, unless Seat hides theirs.

If your SOS starts popping if you got one then as said your telematics box needs changing. It was hocus-pocus of doing dark to fix issues. Clearly the system knew where you were since it was offering an update.

A 4g connection was being made between the car and the VAG servers. The Smartphone app connects you via your own 4g phone link to VAG servers where you can review and control functions of the car. There is also a wifi function in the car.

Some people come out of contract on connect service at the of the period then it's much like mib2 and car firmware of old dealers will do updates. The maps you can update yourself.
Thanks for the info. And just on a last note, every time I've changed the (maximum privacy setting) to the (show my location setting) and then switched off the engine and then on again, the (maximum privacy setting) always reappears again? This seems to be the default setting on the system and can't be changed on a permanent basis, Is this correct?

Thanks 🤔

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.