Installing new Android system

seatcupraguy01

Jan 30, 2024
I figured it's time for a nice shiny upgrade :) the original buyer got this car with the satnav option which is now outdated and i have been quoted £300 for a map update haha as if! for that price i can buy a whole new android system! ... or that's what I once thought. After looking around, I have noticed that many of these 3rd party android systems wont install if you already have satnav system installed, they only install if you have the radio? is there a reason for this and is there a work around or something?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You can fit the Android headunit but it won't interface with the car like the original one does. Plus you'll need a load of extra interface cables and probably a fascia to fit one.

A map update for the OEM system is usually £20 or so off eBay.

seatcupraguy01

Jan 30, 2024
You can fit the Android headunit but it won't interface with the car like the original one does. Plus you'll need a load of extra interface cables and probably a fascia to fit one.

A map update for the OEM system is usually £20 or so off eBay.
problem is, we dont have the SD card that should have come with the car. so i think thats what adds to the massive cost

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
problem is, we dont have the SD card that should have come with the car. so i think thats what adds to the massive cost
SD cards can be had for about £50 but I myself am in need of replacing the RNS310 I have as it has developed a fault where a couple of nights ago it caused my dash clocks to stay illuminated on minimum brightness even with the ignition key removed and the brightness scroll wheel doing nothing. Disconnecting the battery and then connecting sorted it so i am looking at Android units myself.

seatcupraguy01

Jan 30, 2024
SD cards can be had for about £50 but I myself am in need of replacing the RNS310 I have as it has developed a fault where a couple of nights ago it caused my dash clocks to stay illuminated on minimum brightness even with the ignition key removed and the brightness scroll wheel doing nothing. Disconnecting the battery and then connecting sorted it so i am looking at Android units myself.
would be cool to get an aftermarket android system, there's many out there that look nice and work with all the steering wheel functions.. etc. only issue weirdly is that they only install where there was a Radio, they always say not to buy if you already have the satnav installed :/ sucks. I need to find an SD card with the map of Finland on it.

seatcupraguy01

Jan 30, 2024
This one?

It's for RNS-315 tho, so make sure you've got the correct sat nav unit before buying.
hmm mine looks nothing like that, i will upload a pic here and see if anyone can guess what model it is.