Instrument Cluster MPH to KPH swap?

Arturbucio

Jun 2, 2023
Ireland
Hi,

I have a UK FR diesel leon and as such it comes with the MPH instrument cluster. Where I live we use KPH only so I bought the same instrument cluster from the same model but with the KPH cluster.

Now, I read that swapping them myself would be easy but then id need them to be reprogrammed which i wouldn't be able to do myself.

My other option is to swap the paper(?) from the one i bought into my current one but unfortunately the new KPH cluster goes up in 10's until 100 where it starts going up in 20's
My current one in MPH goes up in 20's the entire way so again it would need to be programmed.

hq720.jpg
seat_leon_1m_instrument_cluster_speedo_1512629609_big.jpeg

Which option should I go with that'll end up less hassle and be easier? Anyone here done something like this before? I already have the new cluster just needs to be installed

Thanks.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi there.

If i'm not mistaken I think using VCDS can change the cluster from MPH to KPH. Do you have VCDS?

Regards.

Arturbucio

Jun 2, 2023
Ireland
Hi there.

If i'm not mistaken I think using VCDS can change the cluster from MPH to KPH. Do you have VCDS?

Regards.
I ended up swapping my cluster with the new one and having someone program it for not very much. The same person changed my display information like fuel consumption and range from miles to kmh a while back, i assume using VCDS or something similar.

The issue im running into now is the speedometer under displays the speed by about ~12 at 50km/h and as much as ~25 at 100mk/h. I know this because when i plug into the OBD port and view live data, the speed recorded there is correct but its displayed as a lower speed on the clocks.

Its a very weird issue, i havent changed rim sizes and I cant find anything online bar one post talking about a mk4 golf with the same issue that ended up having to program the clusters again as they were programmed for a different spec of golf. I assume its the same issue here but i haven't got the chance to talk to the guy yet about it. When i do, ill post an update here when i do.

Reactions: Battoussai

Arturbucio

Jun 2, 2023
Ireland
Right,
So as an update to the situation, ive chatted with the guy and he had another look at it. From how he explained it, the different clocks for petrol and diesel leons are programmed with a code I think 6 digits long and the second last or last digit you select decides which specifcation of leon you want them to be used for. In my case it was 1 or 2 which was actually for the 1.8 petrol which is why it was displaying wrong. He changed it to the other and now it curiously still reads wrong but a lot less being out by about 10 at 100 compared to the 25 the last time.

Dont really know where to go from here but im looking into downloading and using VCDS to see if i can figure it out on my own and see maybe i can get it more accurate but for now its alright.

If I do figure it out ill update again.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.