Is 7 seconds very fast (and fuel)...

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
Hi all.

As you may know, I am after a Cupra R (210bhp) but wondered what the 0-60mph sprint figure really is. It ranges in different sources as some claim 6.5 seconds whereas others claim 7.5 seconds.

Also, is 7 seconds fast?

I currently drive an MX5 which hits 60mph in around 10 seconds (which I find quite good). So I am assuming the 7 seconds is going to be a bit shocking at first. Also, what is the mid-range power like with the Leon as this is where the MX5 comes into its own (especially as it holds 40mph easily on tight bends)? I also heard the turbo comes alive at 3000revs. Is this right as I never usually hit more than 4000revs in the MX5 and the 5 is supposed to be a free-revving engine. Is it hard to rev the Leon above 3000revs in normal everyday driving.

Finally, onto fuel consumption. My MX5 is delivering around 180-190miles on £30 worth of fuel when driven in normal day to day driving. I am assuming I will get around 250miles on £45 with the Cupra R. Is this about right? And what happens if I tune it up to 240bhp with a REVO upgrade. Is this going to mean a drastic change in fuel consumption or is it not too bad?

TIA - Cobraman2007

I have a Cupra R 225 and when it was standard the power felt immense to me, coming from a Saxo VTR which is a 10 second 0-60 as well. Mid range is what my leon is best for especially now i have Revo stage 2. Feul consumption is about what you say, i get about 225 miles to a tank which is £45ish but i do like to drive my car hard. The only reason fuel consumption goes up after a remap is because you use your right foot a bit more!
Hope this helps

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
0-60 is a terrible way of measuring a cars performance, IMO.

Firstly, front wheel drive cars with a good amount of power are never good in this area. Traction is always hard to find in anything other than perfect conditions, so you simply don't get a good start.

Secondly, and this applies to all cars, 0-60 is affected by gearing as much, if not more, than anything else. If your car is geared to hit 60 in second gear, it's going to seem really fast on paper if that's what you judge it on. But you might have a much faster car that requires a change into third before 60 that, on paper, seems slower according to the 0-60 time when in reality it's by far the quicker car everywhere else.

In gear times are a much better way of judging a cars performance. Or, if a 0-something dash interests you, use 0-100 as this at least requires a few gear changes and the ability to maintain acceleration over a longer period.

andycupra

status subject to change
Agree totally with RobM

0-60 isnt representative at all.
if the MX 5 is 10 seconds and is RWD then thats pretty slow really.

The LCR struggles to put power down from a standstill and its strong point is once moving, so potentially the difference in performance is significant.

fuel consumption, well how longs a piece of string? really does depend how you drive.
some on here state they get 270 to a tank, (in region of 53 litres if filled when light comes on.
so £50ish for decent fuel.
whereas i find i get over 350 virtually every time. ive even hit 470 once.
(maybe the 40-mph drive to work helps).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2007
I don't have my LCR yet (waiting for the right one to crop up :) ) But if you think a car with a 0-60 of 10seconds is fast (is that the 1.6/1.8 engine?) then something with a circa 7 second time will feel like god!

All things being equal, I tend to notice people "feel" power increases greater than on road.

Err, I didn't explain that well. I mean, say you're racing up against another car (which you've also been in) You know your car feels faster, but on the road what you perceived as a noticable difference in power doesn't translate to much of a gain.

My point about the cupra vs MX5 is that it has a large performance gap on paper. So, when driving it, the difference should feel immense.

Oh, another example. Have a couple of fat blokes in the car. Makes it feel a lot slower, when in reality you're not losing *much*.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
My point about the cupra vs MX5 is that it has a large performance gap on paper. So, when driving it, the difference should feel immense.

On paper, yes, you're right. And in reality, on the road, there will be a huge gap between them in performance terms.

BUT... don't forget the Leon is a heavy, well sound deadened car and this takes away some of the sensation of speed. So whilst you may be going at an incredible rate, it doesn't always feel quite that way....

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
I totally agree with 0-60 not being a productive way of testing a car's potential.

For example, my 5 is not quick of the line unless I hit 7000revs in both 1st and 2nd gear and then it is extremely quick (and rather loud). But I normally work my way through the gears 1st-3rd and hit around 10 seconds. The speed is best when driving in third and thats when the car is a joy to drive. There is no traction problem with the 5, I have to admit. It does stick like glue even from standstill.

However, I just would like confirmation of what the 0-60mph time really is as I would like to compare it to the MX5 and see what kind of increase I will be getting.

Incidentally, I had a modified Vauxhall Corsa revving his nuts off at the traffic lights this morning and glancing towards my car as if he wanted a race. This driver wasn't a chav but a 30-year-old man in a suit and tie. As soon as the lights changed amber, he was off at some speed. I later overtook him as he was pulled over with smoke coming out of his bonnet and his exhaust making a loud noise (although he was at this point standing on the pavement looking puzzled).

I felt like pulling over and asking if he wanted a lift somewhere - but then I thought "sod it". Made my day.

As for fuel consumption, 470miles sounds some feat. I would be delighted with 275miles for £45 in my MX5.

Cheers - Cobraman2007

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
I went from an Astra Sport and an Accord - both 9 second 0-60 cars and it feels damn fast, however the real differnce for me was the 30mph in 2nd put your foot down and get slammed into the seat surge of power - simply awesome!! :)

You pimped your engine out at all Richy?

I have done a little bit.

DSC01364.jpg

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Hi all.

As you may know, I am after a Cupra R (210bhp) but wondered what the 0-60mph sprint figure really is. It ranges in different sources as some claim 6.5 seconds whereas others claim 7.5 seconds.

Also, is 7 seconds fast?

I currently drive an MX5 which hits 60mph in around 10 seconds (which I find quite good). So I am assuming the 7 seconds is going to be a bit shocking at first. Also, what is the mid-range power like with the Leon as this is where the MX5 comes into its own (especially as it holds 40mph easily on tight bends)? I also heard the turbo comes alive at 3000revs. Is this right as I never usually hit more than 4000revs in the MX5 and the 5 is supposed to be a free-revving engine. Is it hard to rev the Leon above 3000revs in normal everyday driving.

Finally, onto fuel consumption. My MX5 is delivering around 180-190miles on £30 worth of fuel when driven in normal day to day driving. I am assuming I will get around 250miles on £45 with the Cupra R. Is this about right? And what happens if I tune it up to 240bhp with a REVO upgrade. Is this going to mean a drastic change in fuel consumption or is it not too bad?

TIA - Cobraman2007

A lot of magazines quote 0-100km/h times which are 0-62mph times and then quote them as 0-60 times.

The 0-62 time of a 210 LCR is officially 7.2secs
The 0-62 time of a 225 LCR is officially 6.9secs

0-60mph of 210 LCR is 6.9
0-60mph of 225 LCR is 6.6

A revo remap will give you more than 240bhp mate. It will take your car from 210bhp upto around 265bhp and 199lb ft of torque upto around 280lbft.

The difference is immense and if you think an MX 5 is fast, the LCR remapped will scare you shi*less. You'll think your doing about 70, look down at the speedo and realise your doing about 120.

To drive a car properly you need to use its full range of power meaning you do need to rev it. In the LCR case upto 6500rpm is plenty and then change up (7000rpm red line)

Turbo spools well at around 2750-3000rpm yes:)

You'll need at least 8k for a decent model 210 LCR,

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
after getting Revo Stg 2 on my LCR I found my 0-60 time didn't actually improve. Stayed around mid to late 6's. The power was so difficult to get down that it wasn't until you were on the fly that you could really feel the benefit (which in the midrange was stunning). You'll feel a considerable difference to a 10s car, but there is a bit of an art to getting a really good off the line flyer which you'll have to master to get the best from it. If you're not measured about the way you take off in an 'R' lesser beasts can get you off the line until the boost kicks in.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members