Is it an overkill to tank 98 for the E-Hybrid 245 1.4?

Apr 22, 2024
Hey guys,

I've had this question for a while now.

I've been tanking 98(E5) for a while now for my e hybrid 245, but was wondering if that's an overkill and 95(E10) is good enough?

I've read on some forums that 98 is recommended for 1.4 engines?

Also for longevity? But I wanna know your guys take on it.

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
What does it say on the inside of the fuel filler flap?

The 300PS engines have E5 (98) if available - putting higher grade fuel won't make any difference if the engine wasn't optimised for high octane fuel.

On the same topic, don't fall for the marketing BS that supermarket fuel is somehow inferior to Shell/Esso/BP etc - visit a tank farm and all you'll see and structures with 95-E10 etc on the side - all the delivery tankers go to the same depots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richiepoos

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I've run my 245 PHEV on E10 since I had it, don't think there's any power / economy benefit to using E5.

Whilst the base fuels are the same at both supermarket and 'premium' petrol stations, it's the additives added to the fuel by a tanker based dosing system as it's pumped into the tanks at the point of delivery that make the difference. So 99 Octane E5 fuel delivered to Shell and Tesco is 'probably' the same, but the additives are different for VPower or Momentum.

Last edited:

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
I've run my 245 PHEV on E10 since I had it, don't think there's any power / economy benefit to using E5.

Whilst the base fuels are the same at both supermarket and 'premium' petrol stations, it's the additives added to the fuel by a tanker based dosing system as it's pumped into the tanks at the point of delivery that make the difference. So 99 Octane E5 fuel delivered to Shell and Tesco is 'probably' the same, but the additives are different for VPower or Momentum.
I'd heard of the "additives added to the fuel by a tanker based dosing system" or something similar and asked that very question the last time I was in a tanker depot - the site manager looked at me with a wry smile and said: "yeah and the driver has a big stick to stir the tank with", was a fair point. When you think it through it can't be an additive at point of delivery, either on or off the tanker as you'd have a challenge ensuring it was mixed at the correct ratio - and then there is the question of the additive 'settling out', would it all end up at either the top or bottom of the tank?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I'd heard of the "additives added to the fuel by a tanker based dosing system" or something similar and asked that very question the last time I was in a tanker depot - the site manager looked at me with a wry smile and said: "yeah and the driver has a big stick to stir the tank with", was a fair point. When you think it through it can't be an additive at point of delivery, either on or off the tanker as you'd have a challenge ensuring it was mixed at the correct ratio - and then there is the question of the additive 'settling out', would it all end up at either the top or bottom of the tank?
As I understand it, and you’re free to check it out yourself, various motoring forums (e.g. PH) discuss it with some delivery drivers commenting - the tankers have small tanks of additives and the dosing system accurately meters the additive dose throughout the transfer of the fuel.

Other methods are undoubtedly available and some may mix at the refinery but that limits the tanker to one brand of stations. Maybe the dosing system is used where there is a variety of station brands in the delivery area of the refinery / storage farm.

Perhaps any Formentor owning, forum reading petrol delivery drivers could comment?

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
On the petrol side, I can't comment as I don't see a difference. But on the diesel side of things I definitely feel that BP fuel has a better burn rate and produces a more regular milage than supermarket fuel ( Tesco / Sainsbury's). Shell locally seems to have been a bit more like Tesco so I now avoid that entirely.

On a 4.2L straight 6, just over 370k miles and a 3L straight 4 at 189k miles, and a 4.5L V8 at 118k miles.

You won't find me at a supermarket pump by choice :)

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
On the petrol side, I can't comment as I don't see a difference. But on the diesel side of things I definitely feel that BP fuel has a better burn rate and produces a more regular milage than supermarket fuel ( Tesco / Sainsbury's). Shell locally seems to have been a bit more like Tesco so I now avoid that entirely.

On a 4.2L straight 6, just over 370k miles and a 3L straight 4 at 189k miles, and a 4.5L V8 at 118k miles.

You won't find me at a supermarket pump by choice :)
I think the secret to long engine life is not really whether you fill up at a supermarket or not, but regular oil changes and waiting till the oil temp reaches 80 degrees before ragging it.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I think the secret to long engine life is not really whether you fill up at a supermarket or not, but regular oil changes and waiting till the oil temp reaches 80 degrees before ragging it.
Agree.

I’ve used pretty much nothing but supermarket fuel in all the cars I’ve owned since the mid-1990’s as the local Tesco is the most convenient - and nearest - place for me to fill up (I’m not driving miles to buy fuel, using additional fuel in the process! 🙂).

Supermarket fuel had never caused any issues in any of those cars.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
For sure, correct spec oil hygiene and good handling manners. But my point was more about the burn quality and responsiveness. Evidence (bias?) accumulated over that age with the same engine.

Huge difference in supermarket fuels and BP.

And your milage may varry, or you could be using km's :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.