Is this hole meant to be there?

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
I've had my facelift FR for almost a year now and I can't believe I've not noticed this before! There is a hole underneath the rear valance. Is there supposed to be a cover on this or is it open on all cars? I believe it must be something to do with a towbar fitment. If there is supposed to be a cover over it, does anyone know the part number?

IMG_1624.jpg

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
I asked exactly the same question when I got mine 2 years ago and the answers I received was yes.

I agree, it does seem strange though.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Not a tow bar is it?? I thought it might be auto tailgate wave thing, but mk3 didn't have them I don't think

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The mk7.5 Golf GTI also has a similar cut out in the rear bumper cover. As far as I know, the bumper cover on the mk7 (pre-facelift car) GTI didn’t. I seem to remember that some GTI owners bought a cover that fits the cut out (can’t remember if this was a VW part of if an independent company was making the covers).

The cut out on the Golf’s bumper was to accommodate a tow bar, so assume this is also the case with the Leon. Presumably prior to the Leon facelift, there would’ve been two versions of the bumper cover for each trim level of car? - the one with the cut out to accommodate a factory fitted tow bar and one with no cut out.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah they come with open hole

Gather its for ease of addition of a towbar if required

Got my FR new with it

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The hole is for the factory fitted removable towbar. My wife's car has one. The topbar clicks into place and the electrics socket swivels up into the hole so nothing is visible. I assume they just use the same bumper for all cars as it's cheaper and you don't see the hole anyway.

I don't think this towbar system can be retrofitted as the whole rear impact structure is different.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.