Ibiza.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: mty12345 and Syphon

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Sound. Ok, got the car home and been giving it the once over. First reg Jan 2021 (70-plate). Its a 95hp (70Kw) 999cc TSI car with a DLAC engine in it. Aluminium block and ali 4 valve head, 3cyl. 74.5mm bore x 76.4mm stroke. Torque 175Nm (129ftlb) 1500-4000rpm. Direct injection with high pressure fuel pump on top of engine. Integral head and turbo manifold and a little turbo on a 4-bolt flange on the rear. Water charge-cooled plastic inlet manifold on the front. Compression ratio a high 11.5:1, on a turbo motor, so this shows the superb control electronics on modern boosted engines. Little oil cooler on front of block. 5 speed manual box.

Not 100% sure if this is one of the EA211 varients, it probably is but most of literature on EA211 is pre 2020 so doesnt have this DLAC listed I have found so far. If you know for sure please shout up.

Originally thought this may have had a CHZL engine but very clear from the inlet system that its not. Horrible air filter arrangement on the earlier CHZL making air filter servicing ridiculously complicated, so happy not to have one of those. Inlet/ chargecooler different too. And compression ratio (10:5:1) so there may well be internal differences.

Bought it from Bristol St Motors who said they did oil and filter service on it. But its got 0W30 oil which is wrong (but it is fresh) along with an unbranded oil filter that was revealed after dropping the plastic belly pan off. So have ordered 5L of Quantum Longlife IV 0W20 VW508.00 (which is apparently green in colour!) and a pukka VAG oil filter S04E115561H. 5L should be enough for oil and filter change. Sump plug needs a 19mm spanner and looks to have a replaceable washer. User manual totally useless for oil specs…..cummon VAG…..

Checked the brakes over, 256mm front disks and rear drums.

Tyres are ok, 215/45-17 which seems a bit big to me for a little car. Standard fitment I understand from Seat with Nexen Nblue HD. Never heard of them so they will be getting replaced before winter. No spare wheel but boot will fit a stock wheel in there so on the look out for a steel spare with a jack set.

Ordered some proper coolant top-up too (Genuine VW SEAT Audi Skoda G12 Evo (Replaces G13) Ready-Mix Coolant 1 Litre (G12E050A2)

Ordered the coolant and oil from @COX Motor Parts and apparently we can get some discount from them so will be looking into that for the future. If you guys see this and spot my order, always happy to start that now :)

More as it happens.

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Got some tech articles off Russian VW Tech site, so started reading more about CHZL vs DLAC. CHZL is the older engine. Both on the face of it very similar, both 95hp, both 999cc etc.

But compression ratio different: CHZL 10.5:1 and DLAC 11.5:1. Different pistons or cyl head design?
Both EU6 emissions class
Torque: both 175Nm but CHZL is 2.0-3.5K and DLAC is 1.5:4K
I read comments on internet (but not yet confirmed) that C engines had no exhaust GPF, but D engines have GPF

More on GPF / OPF: https://dieselnet.com/news/2018/06vw.php and

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Engine block details of the DLAC. Cracking piece of modern design. Open deck so probably not good for high boost (although same as Golf-R EA888 which seems robust). Piston oil cooling jets. Square-4 pattern with seals on front where oil cooler goes. Single knock sensor to left. Think the threaded holes below the oil cooler are for an air/oil seperator and the charge cooler water pump is in there too. Interesting hollow internal strengthening ribs that go down to the sump line. Casting number 05C 103 023C.

Pics:
1. DLAC Block Front - gearbox goes on the right
2. DLAC Block Top - shows rear of block and gearbox goes on the left
3. DLAC Block Bottom - gearbox goes on left, front of engine is top
4. DLAC Block damper end - not the gearbox end
5. DLAC Block under - shows gearbox end also, top of picture is block front

Attachments

• DLAC block front 2.jpg
    DLAC block front 2.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DLAC block top.jpg
    DLAC block top.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DLAB bottom 2.PNG
    DLAB bottom 2.PNG
    204.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DLAC block damper end.jpg
    DLAC block damper end.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DLAC block under 3.jpg
    DLAC block under 3.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
DLAC crank and rods. Apparently a forged crank with hollow journals, 76.4mm stroke, 42mm main and rod journals, 85mm rear seal diameter. Interesting counterweight offset for the 3cyl design. Rods look nothing special, fractured for the end cap, and with a low friction trapezoidal little end.

Attachments

• DLAC crank 1.PNG
    DLAC crank 1.PNG
    236.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DLAC crank 2.PNG
    DLAC crank 2.PNG
    148 KB · Views: 17
  • DLAC crank 3.PNG
    DLAC crank 3.PNG
    111.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DLAC Rod 1.PNG
    DLAC Rod 1.PNG
    80.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DLAC Rod 2.PNG
    DLAC Rod 2.PNG
    79.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DLAC Rod 3.PNG
    DLAC Rod 3.PNG
    105.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
More info. It seems the DLAC is one of the EA211 Evo TSI engines brought in around 2020. New features include:

the 1.0 TSI EVO three-cylinder petrol
engine is very interesting and now
operates in the economical Miller
combustion cycle. With this cycle, its
suction valves close already during
the suction piston stroke, which
reduces the effective compression
ratio, but the expansion ratio remains
unchanged. In this way, the engine
achieves greater efficiency. The engine
features its turbocharger with the
variable geometry of its distribution
vanes, which makes maximum torque
available even at lower engine speeds.
The functional surface of the cylinders
of both EVO petrol engines is
modified by a plasma-applied surface
layer that reduces friction to increase
the engine’s mechanical efficiency.

Depending on the number of cylinders and their power output, the powerplants incorporate various technological elements. The 130 PS (128 hp/96kW) 4-cylinder and the 3-cylinder variants use a combustion process based on the Miller cycle. This helps reduce fuel consumption, particularly at low RPMs, by closing the inlet valves and thus reducing throttle losses. This also enables a high compression ratio, which stands at 12.5:1 in the 4-cylinder and 11.5:1 in the 3-cylinder engine.

To prevent lower fresh gas volume to reduce power output and torque, they use a precise hydraulic system that enables the inlet and exhaust camshafts to be continuously adjusted.

The turbochargers feature variable geometry, which means they can withstand charge pressures up to 2.3 bar (33 psi) in the 130 PS (128 hp/96 kW) 4-cylinder or 2.8 bar (40 psi) in the smaller 3-cylinder.

To increase efficiency, the 1.5 TSI evo also uses the innovative Active Cylinder Management (ACT) technology. It shuts down the second and third cylinders at low to medium RPMs by deactivating injection, ignition, and the valve gear.

All TSI evo engine variations use a highly efficient common rail injection system that runs at a maximum pressure of 350 bar (5,076 psi), delivering up to five injections per cycle. Raw emissions are kept at low levels, and a particulate filter mounted directly downstream of the engine retains almost all remaining harmful particles from the exhaust gas.

The compact units are also extremely light due to the use of lightweight materials like an aluminum crankcase. Thus, the 1.0-liter 3-cylinder only weighs 88 kg (194 lbs).

Attachments

• IMG_7957.png
    IMG_7957.png
    527.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: Metalogic

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Spare wheel and jack kit sorted, details attached. About £180 delivered. Crazy that a spare wheel isnt fitted with state of roads when there is a space in the rear for one, money saving gone too far. If there is no space thats one thing (like in my Q7 with its massive gangsta wheels) but when there is its just nuts.

Correct (green) fully synthetic Quantum Platinum Longlife IV 0W20 VW508.00 oil and genuine VAG filter now in also, with a filter change, 4L goes to half measure on dipstick so perfect. 1L left for a top up bottle. Reused the M14 sump plug as washer looked new.

Filter S04E115561H, £12 delivered.
Oil ZGB115QLB02405, 5L, £50 delivered.

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2659.jpeg
    IMG_2659.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Sound. Ok, got the car home and been giving it the once over. First reg Jan 2021 (70-plate). Its a 95hp (70Kw) 999cc TSI car with a DLAC engine in it. Aluminium block and ali 4 valve head, 3cyl. 74.5mm bore x 76.4mm stroke. Torque 175Nm (129ftlb) 1500-4000rpm. Direct injection with high pressure fuel pump on top of engine. Integral head and turbo manifold and a little turbo on a 4-bolt flange on the rear. Water charge-cooled plastic inlet manifold on the front. Compression ratio a high 11.5:1, on a turbo motor, so this shows the superb control electronics on modern boosted engines. Little oil cooler on front of block. 5 speed manual box.

Not 100% sure if this is one of the EA211 varients, it probably is but most of literature on EA211 is pre 2020 so doesnt have this DLAC listed I have found so far. If you know for sure please shout up.

Originally thought this may have had a CHZL engine but very clear from the inlet system that its not. Horrible air filter arrangement on the earlier CHZL making air filter servicing ridiculously complicated, so happy not to have one of those. Inlet/ chargecooler different too. And compression ratio (10:5:1) so there may well be internal differences.

Bought it from Bristol St Motors who said they did oil and filter service on it. But its got 0W30 oil which is wrong (but it is fresh) along with an unbranded oil filter that was revealed after dropping the plastic belly pan off. So have ordered 5L of Quantum Longlife IV 0W20 VW508.00 (which is apparently green in colour!) and a pukka VAG oil filter S04E115561H. 5L should be enough for oil and filter change. Sump plug needs a 19mm spanner and looks to have a replaceable washer. User manual totally useless for oil specs…..cummon VAG…..

Checked the brakes over, 256mm front disks and rear drums.

Tyres are ok, 215/45-17 which seems a bit big to me for a little car. Standard fitment I understand from Seat with Nexen Nblue HD. Never heard of them so they will be getting replaced before winter. No spare wheel but boot will fit a stock wheel in there so on the look out for a steel spare with a jack set.

Ordered some proper coolant top-up too (Genuine VW SEAT Audi Skoda G12 Evo (Replaces G13) Ready-Mix Coolant 1 Litre (G12E050A2)

Ordered the coolant and oil from @COX Motor Parts and apparently we can get some discount from them so will be looking into that for the future. If you guys see this and spot my order, always happy to start that now :)

More as it happens.

I've got a late 2021 (post-facelift) Ibiza FR (not FR Sport) with the 110PS tune engine, in "Desire Red", which looks great, I think. It has the same Tyres 215/45 R17 Nexen Nblue HD Plus tyres, think they're one of the stock options for the 17" wheels the FR comes with. I think they're okay, but nothing amazing.

Mine still have a decent amount of tread on them, but will replace with probably UHP tyres like Goodyear Asymmetric 6s or Michelin Pilot Sport 5s, or their successors, when they start to show a bit more wear.

How fiddly/awkward was it to get the large engine undertray off? Was this just with the car on jack stands, rather than a lift? I'd like to be able to do my own oil changes, but am a bit unsure whether I'll be able to deal with the undertray. Think the undertray is held on with T45 and T25 bolts on my model, plus some clips.

I think the main issue with the 1.0 TSI engine (as with most direct injection engines) is that the valves get gunked up with carbon deposits, and there's not much you can do about it, other than getting them cleaned, though mines only done a little over 20,000 miles, so probably fine for now. I only got the car a few months ago, so have only put on about 700 miles myself.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
I think your car is basically the same as ours then, as i think the only difference is the software tune, 95/110hp. Although maybe you have 6 speed gearbox? Agree with tyres, the Nexens are ok, but swapping before winter for something decent like you mention. Undertray is easy if you can get to it. There are 5x T25s across the front, and another 2 down each side. Then there are 3x T45s across the back. Hard to elevate a modern car as the underside is almost completely covered in plastic covers but I did this with a trolley jack with a rubber groove block under the front sill jacking point and that got it high enough to get to all the fasteners. Unce up left it on the jack but just placed an axle stand next to it in case the jack collapsed when I was underneath. Will get a pic of the jack and block I used. Hope you are enjoying car as much as my lad is.

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpeg
    IMG_2719.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 8

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
I think your car is basically the same as ours then, as i think the only difference is the software tune, 95/110hp. Although maybe you have 6 speed gearbox?

I think the main differences between the 95/110 PS FR models, other than the ECU tune, are that the latter has the 6-speed manual gearbox (or the 7-speed DSG automatic, though mine is a manual, which I prefer) and it has disc brakes at the rear, instead of drum brakes. There may be some other minor differences to the engine too.

Does your version of the engine have the air filter housing on top of the engine, or to the right hand side of it? Mine is like the latter, as I think are all the 1.0 TSI post-2021 facelift engines:

1000006126.jpg

One other thing that was changed with the facelift is the ECU unit, think it was a Bosch unit before, which can be third party remapped, whereas these later engines use a Delphi GCM 7.4 ECU, which no one seems to have figured out how to remap, sadly, I was hoping to get a mild Stage 1 ECU tune to take it to about 130bhp.

Agree with tyres, the Nexens are ok, but swapping before winter for something decent like you mention.

I'll probably go for the Michelin AS6s (the 91 XL version, not the 87 load rating ones) they seem better overall than the PS5s.

Undertray is easy if you can get to it. There are 5x T25s across the front, and another 2 down each side. Then there are 3x T45s across the back. Hard to elevate a modern car as the underside is almost completely covered in plastic covers but I did this with a trolley jack with a rubber groove block under the front sill jacking point and that got it high enough to get to all the fasteners. Unce up left it on the jack but just placed an axle stand next to it in case the jack collapsed when I was underneath. Will get a pic of the jack and block I used.

That would be great, I don't have a jack yet, but thinking of getting a low profile Sealey one, maybe this (possibly overkill for a light car like the Ibiza, but looks like it will last):

And a pair of pin-locking jack stands, along with some rubber inserts for them.

One thing I haven't figured out - if you're using the jacking point for the jack, then where do you put the jack stands (given that the jacking point will have the jack under it)?

Hope you are enjoying car as much as my lad is.

Yes, it handles very nicely and though obviously not a real performance car, seems reasonably nippy and entertaining to drive, whilst being comfortable and pretty quiet. Feels solidly built for a small car and looks great, far nicer than a Polo or Fiesta.

1000006915.jpg

Mine only has the inflation kit in the boot, rather than a spare wheel, but I might pick up a space-saver spare wheel, new foam insert and OEM scissors jack and handle at some point.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Your engine looks same as ours, thats the Evo DLA-type engine. Didnt know about rear brakes so thats a useful mod at some point. Added pic of jack to post above. Its nothing special but I've had it for 30yrs. Get a rubber groove block so the jack doesnt damage/flatten the jacking point crease. I didnt let the car sit on the axle stand, kept it on the jack, but just put it next to the jack under the end of the jacking point in case the jack failed, which it didnt.

There are other ways to get underneath if you dont have jack and stands, find a high curb somewhere where you are not going to get run over and put 2 wheels on it, usually there is then enough room to slide underneath. Or a couple of scaffold planks and a pile of housebricks to make a ramp, only needs to be maybe 3 bricks high or so - a bit redneck but perfectly fine if you think about what you are doing.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I think the main differences between the 95/110 PS FR models, other than the ECU tune, are that the latter has the 6-speed manual gearbox (or the 7-speed DSG automatic, though mine is a manual, which I prefer) and it has disc brakes at the rear, instead of drum brakes. There may be some other minor differences to the engine too.

Does your version of the engine have the air filter housing on top of the engine, or to the right hand side of it? Mine is like the latter, as I think are all the 1.0 TSI post-2021 facelift engines:

View attachment 42272

One other thing that was changed with the facelift is the ECU unit, think it was a Bosch unit before, which can be third party remapped, whereas these later engines use a Delphi GCM 7.4 ECU, which no one seems to have figured out how to remap, sadly, I was hoping to get a mild Stage 1 ECU tune to take it to about 130bhp.

I'll probably go for the Michelin AS6s (the 91 XL version, not the 87 load rating ones) they seem better overall than the PS5s.

That would be great, I don't have a jack yet, but thinking of getting a low profile Sealey one, maybe this (possibly overkill for a light car like the Ibiza, but looks like it will last):

And a pair of pin-locking jack stands, along with some rubber inserts for them.

One thing I haven't figured out - if you're using the jacking point for the jack, then where do you put the jack stands (given that the jacking point will have the jack under it)?

Yes, it handles very nicely and though obviously not a real performance car, seems reasonably nippy and entertaining to drive, whilst being comfortable and pretty quiet. Feels solidly built for a small car and looks great, far nicer than a Polo or Fiesta.

View attachment 42273

Mine only has the inflation kit in the boot, rather than a spare wheel, but I might pick up a space-saver spare wheel, new foam insert and OEM scissors jack and handle at some point.
Re jacks; have a look here. Recommended by a few people I know.
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Interesting to consider if tiny rear brake disks are actually better than much bigger drums, which actually have much more frictional area, but are probably not as heat resistant.