Jack and axle stands - front axle

TaDa

Jun 25, 2010
Barnstaple or thereabouts
Hi

I need to change the front brake discs and pads (and heat shields) on my 6L Ibiza

I would like to jack the whole front up and support the it on axle stands so I can do the work quicker

Does this Ibiza have a suitable trolley jack jacking point and axle stand points?

(I realise there is no actual axle :) )

Thanks

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I jack off the chassis rails at the front where they are double thickness. Use a bit of plywood/rubber to avoid marking the paint or it will rust. These are the U shaped bits that are about 300mm in from the sills.

You can then put axle stands on the sills where the jack should go ,, or you can put them on the steel subframe (flat black steel thing that the lower wishbones of the front suspension are mounted off.. the plastic undertray should be attached at the front edge). On the subframe put them beside where the lower wishbone's rear bush is. Watch out for sills as they can be rusty now and it is hard to pick the right spot to jack. In both places I have a 40x40x10mm bit of Sterling board to cushion the load and prevent paint damage.

Once you have one axle stand on then a trolley jack in the middle of the subframe will lift it level and you can put axle stands in one of 3 places; outside of subframe, front of chassis rail, sill jacking point and so get it level on both axle stands. The car will move about so put two bricks or similar either side of both rear wheels and do not put yourself under the car more than you need to until it is secure. Put the wheel you take off the car under the car just as a second safety device.