Just been beaten by a Volkswagen Golf Jetta ...

x172

Driving my usual route from Maidenhead to Farnborough, having gone through Bracknell I pass this Golf that then follows me, strange thing is I can't shake it. End up at these traffic lights, where we both floor it from, he pulls ahead by about half a car.

Anyway we head on and get to a nice long dual carriage way, both flooring it, he can't shake me but he is about a car's lengths ahead again, so we both pull in to a layby. Very impressed by his car, he's put a supercharger on it and reckons hes getting about 200 BHP from it, thank god I've got Revo otherwise I think I would have been very imbarrised, he's hoping for a 5.5 0-60 at the pod soon, I think he will probably do that to !!

Nice bloke - and the other good thing about the car is it looks very standard - so be warned there's a real wolf in sheeps clothing out there ..!!

x172

Not sure he needs more than 200BHP, he reckoned the weight of the car was around 850 compared to the leon's 1350, therfore he's got 25% less power but weighs 37% less, so he has a greater power to weight ratio ..

x172

This was a Jetta (92 year I think), and is definately lighter than the Leon.

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
I'm worried about pulling into a lay by after a Traffic Light Grand Prix. You never know if the guy is laid back and cool, or someone who might have taken great offense at being raced.

For example:

VW Golf clearly wanted a go, and I obliged. It being only my third day with the Leon, and not being used to launching it, they were ahead to begin with.

As I went to overtake another car (this was on a dual carriageway), that car swerved. The guy was on a mobile phone and not paying attention. I braked just in case.

Unfortunately, the VW Golf had pulled in behind me at this point, so from their point of view probably thought I was a twat who was brake testing them or something.

They were not impressed.

I think they realised what happened when the guy almost swerved into them as well!

x172

Agreed its not something I make a habit of, but had seen the bloke smiling at the traffic lights, and when in traffic he wasn't driving up my ass, also his exhaust smelt very strongly of petrol and though it might be worth warning him.

x172

Not dead sure, but I think it was a 1.8 supercharged - I presume thats 16v ..?

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
x172 said:
Not dead sure, but I think it was a 1.8 supercharged - I presume thats 16v ..?

Unlikely. Most likely its a G60 engine and while there were a few 16valve ones, there aren't many about.

I used to have a MK2 Jetta Gti with a 2.0 16valve passat engine in it, with twin Webers and a pile of engine work. It was a great car and would pull past 150mph on the speedo. Drunk a load of petrol though.

Aww the memories

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
my mates just bought a mk2 golf rallye, thats got a 1.8 8v supercharged engine in it, the same as the corrado, its got a stage 4 supercharger on it and is pushing around 200 horses, although its very similar between mine and his, i have the edge slightly in the first 3 gears and then he pulls it back by 4th??

x172

I pulled on him in some gears, but from traffic lights on a slightly damp road its very hard to put the power down, I was spinning in 1st,2nd and 3rd, though on the dual carriageway in 4th and 5th he couldn't pull away but I couldn't catch him up - he had deisel gearing on the car, which probably helps in getting 0-60 times.

sixpot

53 Leon Cupra R
Apr 12, 2004
Warrington/Cheshire
vroomtshh said:
Unlikely. Most likely its a G60 engine and while there were a few 16valve ones, there aren't many about.

I used to have a MK2 Jetta Gti with a 2.0 16valve passat engine in it, with twin Webers and a pile of engine work. It was a great car and would pull past 150mph on the speedo. Drunk a load of petrol though.

Aww the memories

Your not kidding with regards to there being a few 16V G60's. Called the Golf Limited something like 71 were made worldwide (factory) and all were handbuilt, so apparently no two engines are the same. Getting parts for them is a nightmare!
I know after speaking to a guy who had 2 of them - his and hers!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.