Kerb side weights

smitty13

Probably of one interest to anyone - but if someone has the answer I would be very interested.

Two weeks ago a swapped from a FR diesel to petrol.

One of the first things you notice is how much lighter the cars seems.
Also every time I had new tires on the diesel was always told that with such a heavy engine high tire wear was to be expected.

With the above in mind does anyone have any idea way both cars have the same kerb side weight circa 1320kg, and if the engines do weigh differently what is heavier in the petrol ??

Cheers

bryanhs

Can I ask what you feel about the difference in the way the car drives? I'm thinking about going the other way, from a TFSI to a TDI but I've always been a petrol head. Will I miss the lovely revvy TFSI engine?

smitty13

When the turbo kicks in there is no loss of a revvy engine with the diesel infact you are changing gears very quickly.
The turbo seems hasher with the diesel therefore turbo lag is worse.
The petrol gives an overall smoother ride - having said that I am on 18's with the petrol (17's with the diesel)
Having spent 60,000 miles (in 30 months) in the deisel and 3000 with the petrol all I can truly say is both are get to drive when you want them to be and a very useful tool to use everyday. Both are different which one is better - Now that really is a question.
Hope this helps ???