Knocking/rattle driving me insane

Aug 11, 2023
I drive a 2019 Leon cupra 290, recently started to hear a knocking noise when driving at lower speeds over uneven / rough road surfaces. Over regular speed bumps I can’t hear a thing, just uneven road surfaces, garage inspection came up with nothing obvious, everything looked how it should and nothing loose. I can drive over rough surfaces and hear it but drive over the same surfaces with the slightest bit of pressure on the break and the noise isn’t there. Any ideas as to what it might be ? Recently had pads changed so checked for any play and they seem okay too.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
No anti rattle plates or paste on back of brake pads. Mine does it on Mintex pads.
I applied some Mintex Ceratec Anti Squeal Grease Paste and the rattling stopped.

Aug 11, 2023
Thanks for the response. I’ll take a look into it and see if I can get it sorted.
No anti rattle plates or paste on back of brake pads. Mine does it on Mintex pads.
I applied some Mintex Ceratec Anti Squeal Grease Paste and the rattling stopped

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Gentle rest your foot on the brake whilst going over these uneven surface. Does the rattle persist?

I had a garage absolutely screw up my brake pad install and they broke one the pad retaining clips. This meant the pads were rattling horribly on bumps but as soon as they were under a bit of load from the calipers the rattle stopped

Aug 11, 2023
Gentle rest your foot on the brake whilst going over these uneven surface. Does the rattle persist?

I had a garage absolutely screw up my brake pad install and they broke one the pad retaining clips. This meant the pads were rattling horribly on bumps but as soon as they were under a bit of load from the calipers the rattle stopped
Yes, just applying a little pressure stops the knocking noise all together.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yes, just applying a little pressure stops the knocking noise all together.
The OEM pads have wrap around anti noise shims about 1.0mm thick - the fact they wrap around means their thickness becomes a critical fitment dimension.
Most aftermarket pads (including big name brands) haven't accounted for this - and just use their standard cheap 0.5mm thick shim which means they have 1mm play and can rattle.