Lack of Power?

Nov 23, 2022
Hello,
I am just creating this post to confirm that nothing is wrong with my car... since I am a beginner.
Basically, I don't have any issues, but at low revs, it seems that car is lacking some power/torque. People who tried my car say that they feel it, based on their previous experience.

Can anyone with Seat Leon 2010-12 77kw(105hp) 1.6 TDI confirm that car struggles (vibrates) if changing gears too quickly:
2nd gear before 20km/h,
3rd gear before 40km/h,
4th gear before 60km/h,
5th gear before 80km/h,
even though board computer asks for a gear change before that.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
That's a lot of struggle for a diesel, considering that those should be kinda high revs. Those look more like gasoline range shifts.
Sounds weird. At least your engine seems to be one that can gain 20-30HP from a little optimisation at a tuner.

Can't say anything more, since I don't have a Leon or a diesel.

Reactions: darkomtc
Nov 23, 2022
That is actually really low rev... Values mentioned above are all around 1400-1500rpm, and there's no problem with driving. Anything below that is with a lot of vibrations. 1300rpm is kinda bearable, if I'm alone in the car (less weight), but still has "struggling/stalling" sound.

I have already chiptuned it to 140hp. It did gain a lot of power at the top end, but 1400rpm and below vibrations still remain.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Did you get a readout of the dyno? That should show you on paper what is going on at those revs.
Diesels do have a large torque falloff as soon as you go below 1500 ish

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
What is this chiptune that you refer to?

If it's one of those plug in boxes, then it's probably causing your problems.

Hello!
I had the same problem on my MK2 Leon also a 1.6TDI and the only fix i found was to get a chiptune but not for power ,but for low end torque . Other than that just push the car into slightly higher RPM´s (when its fully heated up). The 1.6TDI is a great engine that revs more than other tdi engines a so dont be afraid to push it a bit more. If you regularly drive below aprox. 1500RPM´s you will clog up your EGR valve and DPF. (Had to change my EGR because the previous owner was an old man who drove it around the city:D)

Reactions: darkomtc
Nov 23, 2022
Hello!
I had the same problem on my MK2 Leon also a 1.6TDI and the only fix i found was to get a chiptune but not for power ,but for low end torque . Other than that just push the car into slightly higher RPM´s (when its fully heated up). The 1.6TDI is a great engine that revs more than other tdi engines a so dont be afraid to push it a bit more. If you regularly drive below aprox. 1500RPM´s you will clog up your EGR valve and DPF. (Had to change my EGR because the previous owner was an old man who drove it around the city:D)
Alright, noted! I just wanted to confirm that nothing is broken and that it's normal. I usually drive it over 1500 rpm, so I should be good.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: DomcoFR
Nov 23, 2022
Just if anyone finds it informative, I rechecked the revs at mentioned speed and gear, and these are more accurate:
I feel vibrations/lack of power below:
25km/h@1300rpm in 2nd gear,
40km/h@1300rpm in 3rd gear,
60km/h@1300rpm in 4th gear,
80km/h@1300rpm in 5th gear

From information I gathered so far, this is completely normal.

Nov 28, 2022
Just if anyone finds it informative, I rechecked the revs at mentioned speed and gear, and these are more accurate:
I feel vibrations/lack of power below:
25km/h@1300rpm in 2nd gear,
40km/h@1300rpm in 3rd gear,
60km/h@1300rpm in 4th gear,
80km/h@1300rpm in 5th gear

From information I gathered so far, this is completely normal.
I have a 2011 Ibiza FR 2.0tdi and have noticed that it doesn't really like 6th gear under 60mph despite the onboard computer telling me to change up . at 60mph my rev's are around 1600rpm if that . I had an Audi A1 with the same engine etc and that was nothing like this and would tolerate 45/50mph in 6th . My car has had an egr delete and mapped out , dunno if it also had the power changed but it does seem to have more power than my old A1 . Its not a problem for me and I bet it will make for a good economical motorway cruiser .

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I have a 1.6tdi.
The vibrations are normal and result from loading the engine at low revs.
The display says change up too early really for a pleasant experience.
Gearing differences from car to car and Thier weight might make cross vehicle comparisons tricky.
1300 rpm is pretty low to be loading an engine, even a diesel I'd suggest.
I'll have a lil play on my way home from work and see if I see the same results

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I got similar results to those already posted.
I think it's just the low revs.
It must be hard for a turbo at low revs to produce the boost you need for low rev power. Even with a remap. You cant make boost without revs

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members