Lack of top end power - blue smoke

stevegolf1990

Well... im not to sure what the problem may be but my dad said it could be valve problems but that could be wrong... basically at 70mph or over the car losses power also if you stop e.g. in the services it sounds like a diesel when you start it up again with a loudish ticking sort of noise, there also appears to be blue smoke coming from the exhuast when going down hill and it happens in exactly the same place every time!

My dad said it might be that when i let it roll downhill not enough oil getting to the piston or summit i cant remember exactly what he said but he mentioned it could be a valve sticking??

Does any of this ring any bells... sorry im not to hot on engine stuff so if it slightly vague sorry about that lol!

Cheers,
Steve:confused:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
blue smoke means burning oil... if you go down hill you would coast most of the time so you arnt really pushing the smoke out the exhaust but at bottom when you reapply the pedal it all comes out in one go..

G223

Dec 6, 2007
how often would you give the car a good kicking? near rev limiter in each gear i mean

stevegolf1990

how often would you give the car a good kicking? near rev limiter in each gear i mean

ummm not much... my dad drives it at the moment so hes quite carefull i expect lol

why? should i or shouldnt i?

cheers, steve

thewilfmeister

pro: ibiza ready by usc!
Feb 24, 2007
peterborough
to get replacement valve stems isn't that expensive tbh maybe around 50ish or sometimes can be 30-40 quid for a new set depends where you go!

if you dont know how or anyone that can do it then the most expensive thing will be labour as you have to take apart the block and what not...

Mellow Yello

Pedros Dodgy Windows
Jun 13, 2008
i have the same problem with my 1.4 my valve stem seals are gone and i too have a ticking noise but only on cold which i have found to be the hydralic lifters until the fill with fluid , my 1.4 is on 133k and i live out in the country so i give it a bit of a kciking nown again and it seems fine , just i go through more oil , ( i have done 15k since they went)

G223

Dec 6, 2007
if i was you id just take the head off and get it refurbed, shouldnt cost too much, you could get it ported/polished too if your into that sort of thing, sounds like valve stem oil seals, would just be worth getting the head done.