Leon and E10 fuel?

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
Hi guys.

I know that the latest Leon's are compatible with E10 petrol, but I was just wondering If there Is any loss of performance or mpg while using It? I live In the UK and E10 petrol Is now apparently the standard fuel everywhere. But due to a back Injury I haven't done any driving for about 2 months In my 2020 1ltr TSI SE Dynamic and the car now needs to be filled up. So my question Is, should I fill up with E10 or should I find a garage that sells E5, Super Unleaded fuel etc?

Reactions: xeizo and jcbmally

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Hi guys.

I know that the latest Leon's are compatible with E10 petrol, but I was just wondering If there Is any loss of performance or mpg while using It? I live In the UK and E10 petrol Is now apparently the standard fuel everywhere. But due to a back Injury I haven't done any driving for about 2 months In my 2020 1ltr TSI SE Dynamic and the car now needs to be filled up. So my question Is, should I fill up with E10 or should I find a garage that sells E5, Super Unleaded fuel etc?
Reports are the mpg will drops little but the price of petrol is supposed to drop so should even out. However this new E10 is supposed to be at the pumps now and, if it is, the price is still the same.

Reactions: motormadmarc

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
It's got the same octane rating, but may be a bit less energy dense, so expect a 2-3% increase in fuel consumption. Still cheaper than using E5 fuels. And it's definitley been at our local Shell garage for a week. Me, I've the Cupra Ateca, so just run on V-Power anyway.

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
It's got the same octane rating, but may be a bit less energy dense, so expect a 2-3% increase. Me, I've the Cupra Ateca, so just run on V-Power anyway.

Do you think there would be any benefits In running my standard 1ltr TSI Leon on V Power? Only asking because my usual garage where I normally fill up Is also Shell? And by memory, would you happen to know how much more per litre V Power would cost compared to regular unleaded (E10)

Delberthot

Sep 8, 2021
It can vary. My local Shell charge about 12p a litre more for V-power than regular unleaded but other petrol stations are only a few pence of a difference.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
My local is around 14p a litre more. The V-power has a higher octane rating, so can be a bit more economical, plus it has more additives to keep injectors clean.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Just did a trip from London to Scotland (probably the exact same 1.0 TSI 110 in the Leon) in an 2021 A3 MHEV with E10 fuel (from Texaco). Not sure if E10 gives lower mpg. In fact over 410 miles, the car did 53.4mpg (according to the trip computer) with 4 ppl (2 rear passengers were 'heavy' ish) plus luggage, and setting cruise control to 72-74mph on the highway and keeping to speedlimits when there are roadworks etc. I used to have the same 1.0TSI in the MK5 FL Ibiza, and 99RON Vpower gave that 5% more mpg compared to 95 RON fuel. For the Ibiza the costs of the Vpower was the same as 95RON due to break even with the extra costs, but more mpg.
For comparison, I did 200 miles London to Manchester in my old Ibiza and it gave 57mpg @ cruise 70mph, it was only me in the car, and it's a lighter car. Return leg with parents and their luggage, it was 54mpg. Soo..at present I'm not conviced E10 gives poorer fuel economy (yet).

Anyway I've been wanting to pump Vpower on the return leg from Scotland to London, but two Shell I've been to, they didn't have any Vpower avalialble, so Shell E10 95RON it was (despite having the pump for it) to see if any mpg difference. Return leg it was 52mpg, same weight, but had few 'foot flat' on single carriageway to overtake sloow lorries/fuel trucks/car transporters, plus we left during rush hour :(.

andycupra

status subject to change
Reports are the mpg will drops little but the price of petrol is supposed to drop so should even out. However this new E10 is supposed to be at the pumps now and, if it is, the price is still the same.
there is nothing to say the cost of fuel will drop as part of this.

as for V power all comes down to your priorities. for cost, then no there would not be a benefit on a 1lt.
in fact its not a cost saving decision for any car really. (obviously some are set to require super - UK super)

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron

andycupra

status subject to change
like i said. there is no indication that E10 will lead to cheaper fuel. what that article is saying is that E10 will become the norm, and that those who continue to use E5 will end up paying more. That is to say E5 will become more expensive. not that the cost of fuel will drop to offset the slight less efficiency of E10.

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
there is nothing to say the cost of fuel will drop as part of this.

as for V power all comes down to your priorities. for cost, then no there would not be a benefit on a 1lt.
in fact its not a cost saving decision for any car really. (obviously some are set to require super - UK super)
like i said. there is no indication that E10 will lead to cheaper fuel. what that article is saying is that E10 will become the norm, and that those who continue to use E5 will end up paying more. That is to say E5 will become more expensive. not that the cost of fuel will drop to offset the slight less efficiency of E10.
As I stated in my original post mate it will be slightly cheaper, I have read various articles on this. The same sites are also stating overall you will achieve less mpg so I’ll agree that in perspective it won’t be any cheaper as you’ll get less bang for your buck. As for V Power, I’ve never used it, never will. Again I have read many articles conflicting each other on whether it is better or not.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Just did a trip from London to Scotland (probably the exact same 1.0 TSI 110 in the Leon) in an 2021 A3 MHEV with E10 fuel (from Texaco). Not sure if E10 gives lower mpg.

Ok well, after completing my usual Tue evening journies, which always gives me low 40s mpg (never lower than 41mpg). Have done this already 10 times with E5. With E10, this has magically dropped to high 30s mpg wise! :(

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Ok well, after completing my usual Tue evening journies, which always gives me low 40s mpg (never lower than 41mpg). Have done this already 10 times with E5. With E10, this has magically dropped to high 30s mpg wise! :(
The mpg drop might not be due entirely to the change from E5 to E10 petrol. The blend of petrol sold at filling stations also changes by season in the same way that we have different blends of diesel fuel for summer and winter use. With diesel, I always found the winter blend produced poorer mpg figures in the diesel cars I‘ve owned and an mpg step change might also be experienced with petrol when fuel refiners switch from summer to intermediate and intermediate to winter blends.

From a recent post over on golfgtiforum.co.uk, the dates on which petrol blends change in the UK (according to DEFRA) are below;

• Summer: 1st June – 31st August;
• Winter: 16th October – 15th April
• Intermediate: 16th April – 31st May and 1st September – 15th October.

E10 petrol went on sale in the UK on 01/09/2021, which also coincides with the change from summer to intermediate blends for petrol, so you could be seeing a double whammy effect on fuel consumption.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.