Leon MK2 TFSI knocking noise low oil pressure

Jul 1, 2019
Hi guys, I've come here in hope of a little help. I have a Seat Leon MK2 TFSI Sport with 100k miles.

Basically the car started giving me the low oil pressure warning light luckily I coasted to my house with engine off, now the car has developed a diesel like knocking noise when the oil is warm, I'm almost certain it's the cam chain tensioner as videos I've seen sound exactly the same. The oil warning is random and intermittent. The sound of the knock is hard to pinpoint but sounds near cylinder 4.

Anyway before replacing the chain and tensioner I need to get to the bottom of the oil pressure problem.

I've got the sump off and the pickup was slightly clogged but I don't think it was bad enough to drop pressure or flow, from what I can see there is also no damage to the oil pump chain, sprockets, tensioner and guides are also okay the drive inside the pump also looks good. Also when taking the sump off the oil pump chain cover got damaged and no I my loosely fits, can I leave it off?

So what do you guys think I should do next

Thank you

Also forgot to mention I had a P0011 code over advanced or system performance

Last edited:

Rickyr65sl

Jul 31, 2019
Manchester
Pull the cam/rocker cover off and inspect the camshafts for wear/scoring. See if there’s oil there and that it isn’t dry.

If it’s an oil pump or blocked pick up pipe issue that’s got bad enough to cause top end damage from oil not circulating properly then it should be visible...

If all looks good then pull the fuel pump and check the cam follower and cam lobe as it may be that at fault

Again if it all looks fine then do a compression test just to make sure there no Bottom end issues before spending money on a cam chain kit and oil pick up pipe.

Sandypark8

Sep 9, 2016
This happened to me before.
Oil pressure light , knocking , found the chain and tensioner had stretched and snapped and I needed to buy a new exhaust cam and cylinder head. My pick up pipe was blocked , I suspect it starved the top end and this was the direct cause of my problem.

Jul 1, 2019
Yeah the problem was oil pick up pipe. Cleaned it out and the car ran great again after new cams as the oil starvation damaged them and new tensioner too as it had failed.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise